Can I ask my friend if he received my gift?

GirlWithQuestion

GirlWithQuestion

A few days ago, I asked my friend for his new address (but didn't tell him what for - he guessed I was sending a package, but I played it off) so I could send a housewarming gift. He lives across the country with a 3hr time difference. The tracking updated yesterday afternoon to say: Delivered. Handed directly to resident. However, I have not gotten a thank you text, which is weird. I'm worried it wasn't actually delivered, or the driver just left it at the front door and chose the wrong Delivery Method (I actually had an issue sending the gift the first time and had to reorder and reship, so I'm wary and was tracking obsessively).

I want to text him today and ask, "Hey, get anything in the mail lately *wink emoji*?" to make sure, but I don't want to ruin the surprise. Should I do it today or wait a few days? There's also the possibility that he did receive it and did not text me acknowledgment/thanks, which would shock me because he is a polite guy and we text regularly. I think this gift was awesome for him and I'm not fishing for a "thank you", but not even receiving confirmation of receipt (just seems like second nature to get a surprise gift and then text your friend right after) would upset me.

What should I do? I will also be visiting him in a few weeks (but by then, I doubt I could do anything re. the lost/stolen package if that is the case) if that makes a difference.

His wife probably opened it. Some people feel weird getting gifts if they are not wanting any obligation, but if he has sent you gifts before, then it should be fine to ask him in a few days if he hasn't mentioned it.