roommate/friend problem

Gintokiftw

Some context: I'm 21, live in a 4 bedroom apartment, and was in the hospital for cancer 6-10th grade. I never properly learned how to interact with others my age, and am still not perfect with thinking before I speak. I have told my roommate this before.

So, a month ago, one of my roommates, who was a friend asked me tips on saving money. I made the idiotic response of "work more hours/overtime." Immediately after I realized what I had said, but it was too late. My roommate(who has always been a chill stoner guy) got rightfully upset. I then learned from another roommate that he had been working 16 hour shifts 5 days a week at the local grocery store. I gave him some space for the day, and then apologized the next day, also telling him he was a great person and roommate. He responded with "I appreciate it," but didn't seem convinced.

So I was with my family for the past month, and just came back to my apartment today. I asked him if he was doing ok and we were cool. He said no, and that no matter what I did, we never would be, and that while he's forgiven me for what I said, he doesn't want to be friends anymore because, I quote, "you'll just do it again, because that's who you are, there's something wrong with you, but I can't explain it." I tried apologizing again, and doing small talk, but he just ignored me.

I'm moving to a different apartment July 31st, and want to end things on a positive note with him.

What do I/can I do?

Download some money saving tips off the internet, print them out & slip the papers under his door with a handwritten note that says you know he's working hard, you're sorry you said what you said & you hope this may help.

• Like 1

Thing is, your answer was correct. There's only so much money you can save, and anyone can tell you it's easier to make more money than to save more money. And also, him getting puffed up about an answer to a question he asked and impulsively moving out, this sort of childish reaction, is why he has no money. I wouldn't bother trying to save it. I'd make him pay whatever he obligated himself to when you agreed to have him as a roommate.