Bought expensive birthday present for friend but changed my mind?

Hi everyone,

I need some friendship advice on a situation. So my best friend came over and she saw that I had an expensive eyeshadow palette and she really liked and I told her I would get her a palette similiar to that one even though her birthday is in November. So sephora recently had a $10 off next purchase and it expired soon so I thought I might as well buy it now if it was going to be cheaper and so I did. But recently I've noticed my best friend is being pretty annoying and rude to me and I'm starting to not really like her. She bought me a pretty expensive present Lindt chocolate even though I didn't ask for chocolate (I asked for a book that I wanted) and now I don't know if I should still give her the palette. I mean I could give the palette to another friend who's birthday is a lot closer and get my best friend something else but I'm not sure.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

If you're going to do this, you might want to revise her status as your 'best friend'.

If you're planning to not be friends anymore, then there's no reason to give her a nice gift. Just end the friendship. But if you're just mad at her right now because she's annoying you, then hold on to the gift and give it to her when you guys are on better terms.

She bought me a pretty expensive present Lindt chocolate even though I didn't ask for chocolate (I asked for a book that I wanted)

I'm not sure why this is relevant, at all. You don't give people things based on what they've given you, and any gift you're given should be received by you with grace and appreciation. Who cares that she didn't give you the book that you wanted.

• Like 2
stillafool

Since her birthday is in November you have plenty of time to decide whether you two are still friends before her birthday. Stop calling her your best friend.

• Like 1
She bought me a pretty expensive present Lindt chocolate even though I didn't ask for chocolate (I asked for a book that I wanted)

Is the only or major problem that she chose to buy you a different gift than what you asked for? Maybe so her gift would be a nice surprise for you instead of just something that you already expected? But now you don't want to give her the palette...even though she didn't ask for it but you offered to get it for her?

I don't understand this idea of "asking" for a present. Surely you just get given a present and are polite and grateful regardless of what it is? Asking for specific gifts is the height of rudeness unless someone has specifically asked what you want. Even so, you still don't have the right to complain if they choose to give you something else!

If you find your friend to be annoying and rude and are starting to not like her, then back off from the friendship. But I don't see that her gift has anything to do with your decision to be friends or not. Sorry but you just sound ungrateful and spoiled.

• Like 1
whichwayisup
Hi everyone,

I need some friendship advice on a situation. So my best friend came over and she saw that I had an expensive eyeshadow palette and she really liked and I told her I would get her a palette similiar to that one even though her birthday is in November. So sephora recently had a $10 off next purchase and it expired soon so I thought I might as well buy it now if it was going to be cheaper and so I did. But recently I've noticed my best friend is being pretty annoying and rude to me and I'm starting to not really like her. She bought me a pretty expensive present Lindt chocolate even though I didn't ask for chocolate (I asked for a book that I wanted) and now I don't know if I should still give her the palette. I mean I could give the palette to another friend who's birthday is a lot closer and get my best friend something else but I'm not sure.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

A lot can happen and change from now till November. Worry about the bday present when her bday is closer.

In the meantime since she is your best friend then you should be able to call her out on her rudeness and being bitchy towards you. Ask her what is up and why she's treating you this way, that you don't like it and it has to stop.

Gifts aren't given with strings attached. Birthday gifts are not given as rewards or withheld when the recipient isn't behaving exactly as you expect them to. Until you understand the spirit of giving gifts you probably shouldn't give expensive gifts to anybody.

If you have decided that you don't like your best friend then she isn't your best friend and you should stop calling her that. Best friends can talk things out and overcome mild annoyances in the friendship.