Ignored by friend...

emerald86

This is actually a rather trivial matter, but it makes me wonder if something is up with one of my best friends. She and I are very close--we hangout nearly every weekend, and we talk on the phone a lot. We've known each other for about 10 years, and tell each other our deepest secrets, etc.

My birthday was a few days ago, and she definitely knew it. However, the day of, she texted me just as usual, making no mention of it whatsoever. But I didn't really care at that point--what made me question things was that she created an elaborate Facebook post wishing one of her other friends who she isn't quite as close to (who has the same bday as me) a happy birthday, and about what a great friend she is and all of that. She still made no mention of my birthday whatsoever. I do know that she was definitely aware of it, at least because of the Facebook notification.

I don't pay much attention to birthdays, but this makes me question if maybe she doesn't consider me as good of a friend as I thought. But maybe that's immature thinking. What do you think?

If you are friends for so long then just tell her that you felt bad she didnt wish u and see what explanation she gives.

Sounds like she forgot about your birthday. I'd wait and see if she ever realizes it and says something. Were you talking about your birthday to her prior to your birthday so she'd have had a reminder?

• Author
emerald86
Sounds like she forgot about your birthday. I'd wait and see if she ever realizes it and says something. Were you talking about your birthday to her prior to your birthday so she'd have had a reminder?

No, we didn't talk about it, but on the day of, she facebook liked a post that another one of my friends had written on my wall, wishing me a happy birthday. So I know that she definitely saw all those happy birthday posts. The funny thing is that even after that, she made no mention of it herself.

It baffles me that she could go on and on wishing someone else a happy birthday on the very same day while not saying a word about it to me. It makes me think that something is up, even though I can't possibly think of what it is. The other possibility is that she doesn't care. I guess the only thing I can do is ask her.

Did you perhaps forget her birthday recently? Or did you throw a party she wasn't invited to? It seems like she was being passive aggresive for some reason. I know it's not really a big deal, but it also bothers me when a good friend forgets my birthday. (Especially when I see them frequently congratulating others on FB, like in your situation)

I have experienced the exact same thing with a friend of mine. Actually, my friend has never once wished me a Happy Birthday in all the years I have known her. However, she has gone and made big HBD Facebook posts about her other friends birthday, one of which was just 2 days before mine...For the longest time I just ignored it, now I just accept the fact that we probably aren't the awesome friends I once believed us to be...The HBD ignore is just a part of it, I could go on, but why, I know where I stand, it's a sad realization, but the truth. :(