Friend's attitude has changed

steve_king

Hi All,

I have had a friend for about 5 years now, who I met through a workplace environment and after she left we have kept in contact. She's about the same age as me (I'm a bloke) and we were both in flaky relationships, but were keeping it together for our respective children.

I have always been quite fond of her, nothing more, but I have always felt she was a bit stand-offish. She'd rarely make eye contact, wouldn't really indulge in social chit chat and would often shy away from social meet-ups, unless there were a lot of other people there. She'd say I was "boring" and "no fun" etc. Very occasionally, she'd engage, but that was few and far between.

OK, I thought, she obviously thinks I'm a d*ck and left it at that.

Recently, she split up with her SO, which was probably for the best as he'd treated her so bad and after a period of being on her own has started going out with a new bloke.

However, what's weird is that she no longer avoids eye contact, in fact quite the opposite. She now says that I'm "funny" and has suggested we maybe hang out occasionally.

Whilst this is great, what has caused the sudden change of attitude towards me? I'm pretty convinced that I haven't changed one iota, so why have I gone from "boring" to "funny"? Why lots of eye contact when previously there was none? Was it some sort of fear thing going on?

Thoughts? It's always been a platonic relationship and imagine it always will be, but want to get a grasp on why she has changed.