making amends with friendship.

freebird31

Was best friends with someone for 7 years. About 2 years ago, our friendship had fallen apart. When we grew apart and she seemingly neglected my friendship with her. All while I was going through a horendous breakup. I tried to mend our frienship. But she still didnt make the time for me or to just be there for me as much as I needed her. I felt unappreciated and was already going through a heart break so I felt like I needed my space from her, becuase it just made me feel worst at the time as I had given her many chances to be there, and each time she let me down (Lagging on me, spending time with her boyfriend, or her new friends).

On her time, she finally came around and had said she regretted that our friendship had grown so far apart the way it did. But at that time, I had already exhasuted all of my means and needed space from all the things that hurt me. Including her. So i told her I wasnt sure where our frienship stood. After that, she deleted me off all social media. So i fugured she was done too.

I let 2 years go by, but I feel like we never made peace with one another. I feel like 2 years has been too long and maybe I am a little late for this. I dont think I want to be close friends with her. But i do want her to know that I did love and value my frienship with her. I just want us to be at peace. I also feel like there were a lot of misunderstandings and things we could have both done better.

It sucks that a 7 year frienship had to be thrown down the drain. I feel like when she reached out, that was MY chance to really fix things. But again, at that time I was just done with her and i felt like I had no more chances to give at the time. I just needed to heal. I feel like the ball has always been in my court all of these years but i never said anything. I feel like this might be an apporopriate time now, as enough time has gone by for me to really reflect on everything.

I guess I am just afraid she will reject my attempt at making amends with her. What should I tell her?

• Author

We were extraordinarily close friends. Closest bond I have ever shared with a friend. Sisters. We have a lot of mutual friends and I still run into her family from time to time. It just is akward. And also sad that we let the friendship end the way it did. Such a shame, and for the dumbest reasons. Boys.

• Author

I guess I just feel like she never quite understood why I cut it off with her. Like I said, at the time my first love broke my heart and was going through an extremely rough and volunerable time. And my friend was always too busy to hang out with me. I understand that she had made her own friends (through her then-boyfriend at the time) and she had a life outside of our friendship. But it felt like she half-assed her friendship with me. And I might have not made a big deal at the time if I wasn't going through a break up. But I already was going through a hard time. And it felt like she didnt care about what I was going through. It made everything hurt more. And i would find myself crying myself to sleep at night because i felt so taken for granted of by everyone. Again, I know now that I was already vulnerable and may not have been reasonably looking at the situation. But, I just really needed my space from her because it felt like it was becoming toxic to me and weighing me down even more. I just wish she can understand what I feel and why I needed space from it at the time. I tried many times to fix our friendship, to try to spend more time. And i even spoke to her about how i had felt. That I felt that we were growing apart. But nothing changed. this went on for exactly one year, before it just became too much for me. And i needed my complete space from her.

Things had gotten so bad that we were complete strangers to one another. And that is when she finally came forward and said she regretted that our frienship had grown apart the way that it did. At that point, I was already mentally done and i didnt have any more chances to give. So I really needed my space. After all of these years, I am not sure if she really understood what I felt and what I meant. And i just dont want her to hate me. We once realy loved and care for one another like sisters. And I still see her family from time to time. And i just want there to be peace between us. We never made peace with one another.

• Author

sorry. 4th post in a row. I was actually thinking of inviting her to grab a coffee or something. so i can say all of what I am saying now, in person. I just need to get this off my chest