Ack! My friend is trying to plan my wedding...

Artifact

... and I don't even think she knows it! My fiance and I have been planning on getting married for about 8 months now. We finally made plans, set a date, etc. this January when we returned from a trip that had be consuming our time until then.

Now, I am not one of those people who gets really excited about weddings anyway (at least my wedding). I just want to get married, move to a new place, live happily ever after.

So, we are inviting about 30 guests, have a location booked (for the ceremony) and I bought a dress. Up until last weekend we had told all of our guests but this one friend. Part of me was delaying because I wanted to tell her in person (hadn't seen her in probably a month) and the other part of me was dreading it, because I know she is a compulsive planner.

To make a long story short, what I expected to happen, happened. Within one hour of telling her she had "suggested" flowers, no veil, no head piece, what my fiance might want to wear, where the reception should be (not where we were thinking!) how long we should stay at the gardens (where we are getting married) after the ceremony, that we should definitely have a photographer, asked us about honeymoon plans, etc etc etc.

Last night she called to suggest we have a Mariachi band at our reception, since she knows how much we both like Mexico. (!) Should I mention we wanted a Dim Sum reception? She also wanted to know about the invitations, if we were making them, and if I had made any other decisions since I talked to her last time. Sheesh. It's been 5 days, the wedding is almost 6 months away, and I have been working all week!

Any suggestions?

So is she your maid of honor?

Man, she needs to chill. I can see where if she's your MOH that she's trying to help and do her part, but she's really going over the top.

I'd communicate that to her in a very subtle way. You don't want her to fly off the handle and hate you forever.

Has she been married before?

Any suggestions?

Drink heavily :)

It's whose wedding again? Yours!!! Remember that. When she makes suggestions nod your head politely, and then tell her what you intend to do and what you are planning. Hopefully she will get the hint and keep her opinions to herself.

LucreziaBorgia

You can say "I really appreciate you taking the time to suggest these great things, but we have some things in mind already - let me tell you about them, and maybe you can help us set up the things we already have planned."

• Author

tiki:

Nope, not my MOH. Don't have one.

She has also never been married. Engaged once or twice though. She's 20 years my senior.

devildog:

Do I drink now, or at the wedding? :D

LB:

I should probably give her one task and let her run with it. Do you think some sort of pre-wedding event would do? :rolleyes:;)

Originally posted by Artifact

devildog:

Do I drink now, or at the wedding? :D

Start now, stop after. :D

• Author
Originally posted by Devildog

Start now, stop after. :D

Well, my boss won't like it, but okay. :)

Pocky: Bridal shower is a good idea. But I'll be back on here posting after my Mariachi fiesta! :laugh:

• Author
Originally posted by tiki

Seriously, give her loads of sh*t to do.

I should get her to make a scrap book or something. She could spend seriously *years* cutting and pasting.