Do you think that being sheltered and restricted stunts maturity and mental growth?

RippleRay

I've been thinking about this for a while. A friend of mine from school was very sheltered growing up and now as a 24 year old woman she behaves more like a young teenager and her interests are a bit juvenile. She is super invested in things like video games, Japanese animation, music and collecting these different characters from shows she watches. It's all stuff she had an interest in when she was younger but wasn't allowed to get into because her parents didn't approve. Not saying that's a bad thing. She's a sweet girl and i see nothing wrong with what makes her happy.

I'm just starting to get concerned because she is still so naive about people and the world for a woman in her early twenties. That is what concerns me. She doesn't fully understand how to apply for jobs, pay bills or taxes, make appointments, write checks properly, etc. I've had to help her and explain to her how things work and her parents still do stuff for her instead of letting her learn. Even though I help her out i do it in a way that teaches her how to do it for herself next time so she doesn't screw things up.

Do you think that if she hadn't been so sheltered and restricted she would have already gone through this teenish fangirl phase and grown out of it by now? She never had a chance to actually be a teenager when she was at that age. Just really curious. She doesn't appear to have any developmental disabilities. maybe she needs to go through it and get it out of her system. Does that make sense?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Paragraphs and move to Friendship

Yes, it's become a huge problem that parents are no longer preparing their children to become an adult but are keeping them children for as long as possible. Of course it stunts your maturity! She is still a little girl with some very childish interests. She needs to get out on her own making her own way for some years to grow into adulthood.

Yes, it's become a huge problem that parents are no longer preparing their children to become an adult but are keeping them children for as long as possible. Of course it stunts your maturity! She is still a little girl with some very childish interests. She needs to get out on her own making her own way for some years to grow into adulthood.

The interests don't have to be a case of "stunted growth". I'm a fully grown woman who goes to sci fi conventions regularly, reads comic books, plays video games and collects swatch watches and action figures.

But yes, parents aren't allowing their children to become full adults. A friend of mine interview this girl, for a job, and her mother came with her to the interview!

Another friend has had parents call to make sure she's received their CVs!

It's crazy!!

But when you read the thread about what age is appropriate to leave your children home alone, you understand that kids will now be kids until MUCH later, because they aren't allowed to develop.