Is this Aspergers?

RoseWater

A friend of mine has a very unusual way of communicating. In person or on text she will not engage in normal conversation, there's never really any "hi, how are you?", she will just vomit up a torrent of highly detailed but uninteresting (to me) information about very specific subject matter.

A typical communication was like the texts she sent me today. About 7 texts in all, all at once. They just contained photos and videos of different shop windows she has seen today and detailed information about what is in the shop windows. She did not say "hello" or "how are you" or "thought this might be of interest to you." in any of the texts. She just dumped the information. I've given no reason to make her think I'm interested in pictures of shop windows.

It's always like this and she is also very tactless with everybody to the point of coming across as really rude.

Another unusual thing was she once mentioned that the sensation of water from the shower on her skin "feels painful" and as a result she does not shower. She does actually smell quite strongly recently.

Does any of this point towards Aspergers?

HopeForTomorrow

It could be.

My 21-year-old son was diagnosed with Asperger's when he was in elementary school. The biggest issue then was his inability to recognize personal space - he would get in people's faces or poke kids with pencils, etc. Although it was hard to distinguish those symptoms from boredom and lack of a challenging atmosphere. As time moved on he had trouble maintaining relationships with peers but was very social and close to adult role models (teachers, etc). Now, his third year of college, his social skills are like most everyone else's, he has many friends, and is very outgoing. He is also extremely intelligent (high genius range).

The symptoms of Asperger's can be tough to nail down (which is why they have moved away from diagnoses such as autism and Asperger's and now just refer to the "autism spectrum"). But in general, inability to be socially appropriate (such as not being able to make small talk or "connect" with someone, like the information dumping thing you describe) fall within typical symptoms I would say.

A series of tests by a professional are required of course but yes, I agree with Hope. I also have a son with Aspergers and the behaviors you describe indicate a possibility. Brilliant people :)

Mrs. John Adams

agreed...no one can tell you on a forum whether someone has Aspergers...

our precious 7 year old grandson in on the autism spectrum. These children are all so different....sensory, stemming, all vary according to the person. Our grandson loves me to rub his head.....hard....why? I don't know...but it calms him and makes him feel better so i do it for him.

My little guy lives in his own little world....but my goodness he is brilliant...and each time he does something amazing it increases our hope that he will be able to function in the "real world".....

He used to scream at me when i came into the room...but now he gives me and hug and a kiss and says I love you mawmaw.

Be patient with your friend and you might even ask her instead of asking those who don't know her...she may have a diagnosis that she is willing to share with you.

• Like 1