Ideas for a great party.... So grateful for inputs :-)

I am about to have a big birthday party. There should be about 80 people.

I am grateful for any special tips regarding food, drinks, ways to make people who don't know each other start chatting.

etc

thanks

Originally posted by melina

I am about to have a big birthday party. There should be about 80 people.

I am grateful for any special tips regarding food, drinks, ways to make people who don't know each other start chatting.

etc

thanks

make sure you have good music that will appeal to most of the party-goers. good upbeat music always puts folks in a good mood and sets the tone for the party.

good food and puh-len-tee of alcohol does not hurt either.

...oh yeah and girls, lots of good lookin' girls

simple but tasty finger food that can be snacked on throughout the event: cut veggies with dips; chips, meat & cheese snack tray, fruit mix (in bite-sized pieces), cookies or brownies, possibly even cupcakes (less messy than a cake and you don't have to cut anything!), finger sandwiches or a huge sub sandwich cut into manageable sections (but let people put their own mustard/mayo on that kind of sandwich), nuts.

as for drinks – depends on the crowd. Adults will almost always go for beer, so stock up an ice chest, or better yet, invest in a small keg. They're cheaper (from what I understand) and you don't have to mess with cans or bottles. Just be sure you have plenty of alternatives to alcohol for non-drinkers/designated drivers: lemonade, soda, tea, coffee, etc.

as for getting people to mingle, ooh, that's a good one ... some of the parties I've been to had guests playing trivia games to break the ice/help people bond. Music – preferably stuff you can dance to – is a must.

Find a theme and stick with it. Luau, Fiesta, Sopranos, 70's, etc. Possibilities are endless. Base your 'everything' around that theme.

SuperFantastico

Theme is good. Have a raffle. Charge 5 bucks for 3 tickets and have a couple of

cool prizes. BIG booze bottles are always fun.

Keg of beer is good too. perhaps charge 5 bucks at the door and unlimited drinking.

Themes are great fun. Put up lots of cool decorations.

Gambling maybe. Play for chips. Chips can be traded for prizes.

Make lounge areas. Rec. areas. Hanky panky areas ;)

BBQ. Buffets. Finger food. chips. party mix.

How old is the adverage person?

pinyata(spelled wrong :eek: )

Lots of games. 20 dollar atari packman thing was a hit at our party ;)

Alcohol seems to make people relaxed and wanna mingle more. (depending on how much they drink). Music is a definate. What's a party without music? I like the theme idea too.

My boyfriend's aunt had name tags at a party and gave everyone the wrong one. We had to go and find that person who we got to give them the right name tag. It was funny. This was for an 80th though. Lol.

I've never played Pinyata at a party. It looks fun though. Seen it played on TV.

SuperFantastico

Uh....pinyata should only be played outside. Booze + pinyata indoors = broken stuff.

That nametag thing sounds kinda fun. good way to meet people.