Too much too soon?

Sunnylover21

I have recently started to become friends with a new group of people. We have all been training together for the last 8 months, and I have know one member for a while. They have all been friends for years, and are all older than me.

It is only in the last fortnight that I have actually become more friendly with them. It was all very sudden - I went from barely talking to them to having meals out, coffee, group whatsapp chats and even been invited to away competitions with them. All in the space of 7 days!

This was lovely and I felt we were all getting along nicely, but in the past few days I have felt a bit awkward around them. I feel like an outsider - the 2 women are very close but really included me before, but now I feel they aren't doing so. The men aren't talking to me as much (however, I feel this is just them being men!). There are no longer direct invitations to things either.

I don't know if I should just carry on how I am or back off slightly? I feel perhaps they are being more distant because I spent too much time with them too quickly?

Someone probably backed off a little, causing the others to pause. Don't make it into a big deal. Just live your life, don't try to be solicitious, but when you see one of them big smile and casual hello, nothing more unless they start getting close again. Show them they have nothing to fear by just being casual and easy going and not at all clingy or expecting anything. Good luck.