The GLARE.... anybody?

iamwalrus

hello,

i was wondering...

for some reason it seems that wherever i go, the mall, school, beach, park, etc, people are always giving me a weird look. i'll be walking in a town where i've never been, and many people i walk by give a dirty, pissed off look, like: "woah, look at that moron" type thing. now i dont know if im self concious, or what, but i cant understand why everybody looks at me that way. and no, i don't look weird or any thing (deformiites). it is just crazyness. anyone else have that problem? any "ideas"? or is it just me?

thanx alot

SadAndLonely

I don't really feel like that, but by default (usually because I'm thinking of something funny) I tend to walk around with a smile on my face. If you do that, and a few people give you dirty looks, then it's their problem and you shouldn't worry about it. If everyone still seems to, I know the name of a wonderful psychologist I could refer to you...

there is something different about you. either you are very attractive or you have something differenet or unusual about you that make them look. people don't look at average run of the mill people.

if women tell you you are handsome or good looking then that is what it is. do both men and women glare or just women?

for instance, if you are black and walk into a small hick town in Iowa where everyone is white then you would get glares.

savethedrama4allama

Maybe you're like me and you walk around with a disgruntled look on your face. People tell me that they think Im a "total b*tch" when they first see me, before they get to know me. I just look pissed off I guess. Maybe people are reacting to your attitude as it appears. Try asking a stranger sometime why they were giving you that expression.

I first check to see whether my fly is open.

Check my hair, face and clothes for bird-poop, paint, something that's not suppose to be or nasty t-shirt slogans.

Repeat and check on person(s) with me.

If nothing of the above, who gives an eff!

Caveat - if you are in small hick town, maintain WGAF attitude but be alert of lynch mobs....LOL

Originally posted by savethedrama4yrmama

Maybe you're like me and you walk around with a disgruntled look on your face. People tell me that they think Im a "total b*tch" when they first see me, before they get to know me. I just look pissed off I guess. Maybe people are reacting to your attitude as it appears. Try asking a stranger sometime why they were giving you that expression.

Yeah, you're llama smirk comes off b*tchy. :)

She's right on though. Ask someone else. Chances are, you've got this mean look and people are taking you the wrong way!

savethedrama4allama
Originally posted by tiki

Yeah, you're llama smirk comes off b*tchy. :)

You're right, I should also correct my previous statement: "People tell me that they think Im a "total b*tch" when they first see me, before they get to know me." Sometimes that opinion doesn't change after they get to know me. :)

i do not think a lot of people are used to others making eye contact with them.

or maybe they just have that affect all the time.

You're right, I should also correct my previous statement: "People tell me that they think Im a "total b*tch" when they first see me, before they get to know me." Sometimes that opinion doesn't change after they get to know me. :)

:laugh:OMG you're too much.

People tell me the same thing. People at work are always asking what's wrong or why am I mad. I tell them I'm not and that's just the way I look. I don't mean to look that way. My friends and family are already used to it by now, but they still tease me about it. In high school alot of girls thought I was a bitch and were afraid to talk to my boyfriend in front of me because they thought I would attack just by the way I looked.

I get this, too....

My friends are always asking me if anything is wrong...no....but when I have no expression on my face, I just look slightly irritated. With the universe. Which I am. :laugh:

It is entirely possible that you are misreading people's expressions. There have been studies in which people are asked to figure out others' moods by looking at pictures of people. Many people are bad at understanding expressions.

I've never heard of this before :

Originally posted by iamwalrus

people are always giving me a weird look. i'll be walking in a town where i've never been, and many people i walk by give a dirty, pissed off look

I think you should seek some counselling, pronto...I mean, what a way to go thru life!

There's some kind of distorted thinking happening on your part...if a total stranger walking down the street has a disgusted look on their face - trust me when I say : it's got NOTHING to do with YOU...your perception is waaaay off.

Seek help ASAP

people are always giving me a weird look. i'll be walking in a town where i've never been, and many people i walk by give a dirty, pissed off look

my ex always used to say this!!

when we were out he was paranoid that people were looking at him. when he met someone new he was convinced that they had a look of dislike in their eyes. he was worried about meeting me for the first time because he didnt want to see that look in MY eyes.

i think this is part of a huge low self esteem problem, get some help.

Im going to have to go with the "You have a disgruntled look on your face" explaination. But I would like to point out that if you have mental problems in you family maybe you should see some help. I have a friend who swears that every male clerk, whether at a gas station or a five star hotel is "checking him out." I don't think he realizes that all of his claims are against male clerks though. We'll walk out of a store and he will say to me "Did you see that guy check me out? I could feel him undressing me with his eyes."

Originally posted by Maxxus

We'll walk out of a store and he will say to me "Did you see that guy check me out? I could feel him undressing me with his eyes."

...latent homosexuality, maybe??

(not that there is anything wrong with THAT!)

SuperFantastico

Maybe its just because you are in a new town, and you dont act/look like them.

So you are interestly different from the norm. If you went to a town where

everyone wore suits and you have some kakis and a sweater on, people would

look at you funny too.

Dosnt mean anything is wrong with you, you are just interesting to look at.

Not a bad thing. maybe you could use it to pickup someone ;)

Now if you had a tinfoil hat on with antennas to stop the man from reading

your mind, that would be a problem.

Originally posted by alphamale

...latent homosexuality, maybe??

(not that there is anything wrong with THAT!)

Doubt it, he was very into the ladies. Definatly bi-polar, he has a long family history of it, and maybe homophobic.

Three of Swords

I get strange stares all the time.

I am in my mid forties. Have my hair coloured vivid copper/red with black streaks. Have an industrial and a daith piercing.

My glasses have a plastic frame that matches the copper/red in my hair.

So yeah - I look different than the norm and/or what is considered age appropriate.

Also I have a narrow mouth that naturally turns down at the corners, so even friends sometimes think I am not enjoying myself when I really am. (Maybe I look sullen or angry??)

Also I am big on eye contact. Look at everyone, male or female for probably longer than the socially acceptable level - whatever that is. Don't mean to be rude. That is just the way I am. I find people interesting - sorta like my own personal study in humanities. The only time I can't look someone in the eye is if it is a male that I am attracted to them - go figure!!? I too think that said eye contact can make some people uncomfortable.

Those are the explanations that I have come up with for the stares I get.

Most of the time I don't mind too much - cause I think I might be a bit of an attention wh@re. But I don't like it when I get a look of disgust which does happen every now and then. Said look generally coming from older women wearing cardigans and crosses. :)

LucreziaBorgia

I get the glare too - mainly from the 'proper Southern women' types. I have the red plastic hornrims, short hair and every once in a while if I'm wearing short sleeves you can see the bottom of one of my tattoos peeking out. I wear Blackspot sneakers (they look like Chuck Taylors), jeans and teeshirts/sweatshirts. I don't wear makeup. I used to have my nose pierced. I REALLY got glares for that.

Another glare is for something I can't help.

I'm tall and have a curvy build with large breasts. A good deal of the glares I get are from women whose unlucky husbands or boyfriends happen to be caught looking in the general direction of my breasts. Their man looks at me, and I get the glare. :rolleyes:

Its not like I'm going to 'boobytrap' them and steal them away with my large evil breasts. :laugh:

Oh well. :o

Three of Swords

Lucrezia - bring your big breasts and your self up to E-town. We can strutt our stuff together and let them all stare!!

I am considerable less well endowed - but what the heck. Maybe we can creat a few rumours!

I think it is soo much better when people can be individuals and not be the same homogenous crap that everyone thinks we shoud be.

Power be to the different.

Where can I buy some of those sneakers - they sound cool!

B.