Making female friends

This is something that is apparently a rare thing to want (at least according to the internet). When I search it I find a lot on how to make a friend fall in love with you but nothing about how to make platonic female friends.

Right now I am in a place in life where I know peripherally a bunch of women who I think are pretty cool but I'm not really attracted to them. I also have almost exclusively male friends and I'm honestly fed up with a lot of them and am really ready to upgrade my friend group (or at least expand it). The problem is that I'm not really sure how to become friends with women without it seeming like I'm hitting on them/ interested in them romantically.

I'd like some specifics on this - my only female friends are the ones I know from like elementary school or some of my sisters friends who I have gradually gotten to know.

StalwartMind

It's never a bad thing to have common interests. Depending on your age range that may alter things a bit, but most women make as cool/great friends as men, if not better. I think a lot of it has to do with your personality and how you present yourself as well as talk in general. Everyone have different preferences, moods and things they find a appealing.

I guess it also depends what type of friend/friendship you are after. Most people love to have fun and someone who can make them laugh, both guys and gals. I love laughing as much as the next person, but I also enjoy being there for someone and listen to anything they have to say.

I never made any difference between befriending men or women, each person no matter their gender, is best understood by spending time with them. Don't pretend to be interested in things you aren't, just to have a friend. Honestly if you can be sensible and just talk to someone, there there theoretically are no limits to whom you can befriend.

Nothing wrong with making things clear from an early point either what your own interests are and aren't, might even be beneficial. Most of us want a friend to like whom we are as a person, without we constantly need to and defend or over explain ourselves.

• Like 3
Frank2thepoint

What I found to work for me is talk to the woman about some woman I am interested in. Such as asking for advice or opinion. This helps alleviate the possible thought that you might be talking to her only to pursue her. Another thing that helps is just talk to women that you know are in relationships. And treat them like any other person. Be friendly, joke around, and ask for their opinions. Don't make any flirtatious comments, don't even tease them either.

• Like 1

That's a good answer Frank. It's so easy to over think things because you don't want to give the wrong impression. So you end up going through two or three filters and coming off weird. Just be yourself. Think of them as your best friends wife, or maybe even your sister!

I know what you mean. I'm looking to make male friends.

I don't want any guy talking to me about his female/relationship problems though.

• Like 1
Frank2thepoint
I don't want any guy talking to me about his female/relationship problems though.

Why not? That's what friends do.

• Like 1
Why not? That's what friends do.

I am taking a break from relationships IRL and that includes thinking about them. I would like a reprieve from hearing about them IRL and would love to do other fun things or just talk about other interesting things really. And lately, I don't talk about relationships much with my female friends IRL either. It's been nice.

What would be ideal is to find a friend who is completely out of the dating game right now and plans to be for a while. I know that's hard to find though.

Edited by Popsicle
  • Like 2