Friends exhaust me sometimes. Can anyone relate?

acapelo_dp

I feel like I have been a bit of a hermit lately. I have been working 7am-3pm which isn't a big deal but I get up at 5:30am for the past two weeks which I am not used to (my shifts are supposed to rotate from days to evenings) so I have had not much chance to sleep in a bit and I get so tired after work. All I want to do is either go to the gym if I have enough energy, or go home and make food and relax for the evening until bedtime. Occasionally I will go over to my boyfriends house and watch a movie but generally I am too tired.

One of my acquaintances asks me to hang out every single day the past two weeks. She will ask "Hey! What's up tn?" each day and nothing else. If I don't answer sometimes she will text me again and again. Like I said lately I have been just too exhausted after work to do anything and I have been making excuses or just not answering. I was supposed to go to a movie tonight with one of my good friends, but I fell asleep and feel pretty bad now and rescheduled it for tomorrow.

On the weekends I am completely fine (I have Friday and Saturdays off) and I enjoy either going out with friends or my boyfriend for dinners, movies, clubbing, or going for walks, etc it's just during the work week where I really just don't want much human interaction and I would much prefer being alone and getting things done/going to the gym. I just get so exhausted..

Does anyone else feel this way? I feel like eventually I will just end up alone if I keep wanting to be by myself during the work week...

StalwartMind

If you have a rotating schedule, I'm fairly sure your body has a harder time to adjust as well, and in that way it shouldn't be too mysterious as to why friends or certain activities can exhaust you greatly. Someone who's an actual sleep expert can probably explain that better, and possibly tell me I'm wrong which is not unlikely.

On a completely different note, some people actually do need a lot of alone time in order to charge up. Not to turn this into an introvert/extrovert topic, but introverted people can find others to be like vampires, sucking all the energy out of you.

If you otherwise are fresh and fine on weekends, I wouldn't worry about ending up alone. I guess ideally you'd want a better routine, but sometimes life doesn't offer us that luxury.

RecentChange

I am one of those people who really enjoys and needs time to myself, and I have a very busy schedule which doesn't leave much time or socializing or relaxing.

I think it's normal, if it is bothering you look into it. But my fiends see me on weekends, and even then, this weekend for instance I passed on the weekly "get together". I re-charge by myself, hanging out Friends is fun but my week days start at 5:30 am, and I am often not home till 9:30 pm (by the time I commute / work / work out / ect).

I have some close friends who have been with me for decades now, that I see in person rarely. If a friend is the type that needs to"hang out" all the time they probably won't like me!

Edited by RecentChange

I can totally relate to this. I love spending my time alone, and often times I feel like friends exhaust me. In fact, you are in a much better spot than I am, because am not even willing to spend time with my friends over the weekends.And I think it's quite normal and each person has their own definition of enjoyment and this is how I am. No matter what people think of me ;)

simpleguycomplicated

Hi Acapelo,

I work shift work too, and I can relate to this. My body clock has a hard time adjusting to the change in routine and shifts and sometimes I need to have that time alone to recuperate and feel a little more normal.

I think it's great that you're still committed to spending time with these people on your days off, and your friend that keeps messaging you over and over again is probably adding a bit too much stress on top of having to work and doing things for yourself (Gym, boyfriend etc). I guess you could probably just explain to them that you need to utilise that time during the week to make sure you can keep your work/life balance in check, and that you're happy to arrange a time to hang out on one of your days off.

Take care,

Matty.

I can completely relate. I am a college student, just started my senior year, and I am living with three other girlfriends in an apartment. I'm used to living alone, and I very much need my time and space to recharge. I'm taking 18 credit hours and working two jobs. I've been feeling really frustrated lately because two of my roommates joke and talk about how grumpy I am and make fun of me for having my bedroom door closed. It's so annoying - am I not allowed to have some space??? On the weekends most of the time I am ready to go out or just hang in the apartment, but my life is crazy hectic in the work/school week and I wish my friends would be more respectful of that.

I can totally relate, but I think for different reasons... a lot of my friends are just TOXIC. They absolutely drain me... all of their problems, all of their mood swings... the DRAMA, I just can't take it. I've pretty much been keeping to myself and just passing on invitations to go out (eat, clubbing, etc.) I very much enjoy my time alone so so much more. I have a friend like yours that keeps texting... (I finally said, "stop asking me, I've already told you no".) You really shouldn't have to explain yourself, but sometimes I feel guilty and make up some excuse.. it doesn't seem to help all the time. However, many have gotten the hint... even on the weekends. I think I'm becoming a loner... and I'm fine with it.

todreaminblue

i love giving ....whatever i can ...time energy a listening ear a place to stay a hot meal.....i will give what i have to give....but lately......i have noticed that when i give ....they want more....and more.....and more until i have nothing left for me...no time...no energy ....and the best i can do is try to sleep it off.....recharge......i have never expected anything back i give fro the joy of it.....i have developed compassion fatigue...thats what it is called.....because everyone takes more than they should......this i believe...is actually my fault...for not saying hey come on now..........there needs to be a stop sign..a pause button.......a boundary....effective boundaries are what i struggle with....deb

• Author

I am glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! If I work 3-11 all I want to do before hand is go to the gym and get errands done. If I'm working 7-3 I'm exhausted after work and try and go to the gym and then relax after. The same friend who keeps texting me one night called me 5 times in a row and blew up my phone All night with texts after I told her I was too tired to attend a show I was planning to go to (I made sure she had a group of people to go with) as it was on a weekday. It was honestly crazy to me and made me super frustrated. I think I just haven't found a BEST Friend that I click with and want to spend time with all the time. This girl is fun to party with but not much else and I kinda feel bad.

My very best friend is in my home town and we haven't seen each other in a year and a half :( we've lost touch for a few months but I still have her on social media and I still call her my best friend.