Your my Best Friend But?

treehugger101

treehugger101

A friend who considers me her best friend, went and had a house warming party for her family and friends last year. But I sure wasn't invited! It's like if you call me your best friend, wouldn't you invite me to something like that?

I thought best friends, told each other everything, did everything together, or if not everything a lot of things, you know, they are that one friend you could always count on, be there for you, etc.

If she calls me her best friend why didn't she invite me?

It seems to me that is the type of thing you would invite a best friend to. I can't answer why she didn't invite you. Have you asked her?

• Author
treehugger101
It seems to me that is the type of thing you would invite a best friend to. I can't answer why she didn't invite you. Have you asked her?

I would ask her about it, but I don't want to seem like a b**** about it.

The ask politely. You will only be a B1tch if you are nasty in your tone.

Instead say Hey you know how you call me your Best Friend? When she says Yes, tell her that it hurt your feelings that you weren't invited to her housewarming party & you'd like to know how come you were excluded.

A friend who considers me her best friend, went and had a house warming party for her family and friends last year. But I sure wasn't invited! It's like if you call me your best friend, wouldn't you invite me to something like that?

I thought best friends, told each other everything, did everything together, or if not everything a lot of things, you know, they are that one friend you could always count on, be there for you, etc.

This happened LAST YEAR?! Wow. And you're still churning it around in your mind?? I think you are making a few mistakes: 1) attaching too much emphasis to the term “best” friend 2) assuming what she says is the truth, i.e., that because she says you’re her best friend that you ARE. Looks to me like she only considers you a friend…maybe. We don’t know why she excluded you. You can ask her, but why does it matter? You need to ask yourself if you really want/need this so-called friendship.

Edited by applej4
  • Like 2

There is no way for us to know why your friend did not invite you. Perhaps she has a very logical explanation for this but the only way you are going to find out is to ask her.

truthtripper

I had a friend once who likened me to her "long lost sister". So naturally I thought she valued me as a friend. But she also omitted me from parties and the like. So weird. She also told our mutual friends things about herself which she never told me.

I think when friends give you mixed messages regarding the status of your friendship, be wary. Sometimes friends don't mean to hurt us, but if they have upset you, it's time to start protecting yourself from further harm. Your friend may be a flippant kind of person. You have observed she has the potential to hurt you. Perhaps it would be best to not take her too seriously. She may not be real friend material. Consider whether it's worth investing energy in this kind of friendship.

• Like 1

+ 1 that you can only know if you ask her.

If you try to come to your own conclusions on this one, chances are you could be wrong, assume malice or some other nefarious reason that might not be there.

I've been in your shoes, though, and feeling excluded sucks. For your own good, you could try reframing the situation as miscommunication as opposed to rejection. Chances are the snub had nothing to do with accepting/rejecting you. Thinking of it that way might help you process the hurt feelings.