my best friend has a huge problem

lemonadekiwi

lemonadekiwi

I live with my bf and have been with him for a year. I've had a few issues with his sense of humour and I've tried to work through that. (He think it's funny to call me 'woman' sometimes, clicks his fingers at me sometimes to get him food and drinks etc and is very blunt) I know that he doesn't mean it...it's his way of 'joking' but being quite sensitive I have got upset a couple of times. And i tell him that too.

Unfortunately I confided in my best friend about this...as girls do. She's just got engaged and asked me to be maid of honour - and she's fiercely protective of me.

It's my birthday soon...and he made an event on FB and called it 'The woman's birthday' and basically wrote an event which was quite insulting but supposed to be funny. 'So yeah it's her birthday soon. We're doing this. Come along, I don't know who else to invite. So you invite them' which she wasn't happy about at all. She thought it was embarrassing to me but kept her mouth shut. I told him to delete it in the end as I had a falling out with two of the guys he invited. Long story short, they weren't very nice...and we haven't spoke in near 2 months. My friend hates these two as well.

Now my bf arranged a surprise bday...and invited those 2 guys. And it was literally a night of drinking at some pretty shoddy places. Because my friend was fuming that he arranged something like that, and invited two people that have hurt me, she thinks he isn't listening to me and that it was selfish. He didn't invite my closest friends, more acquaintances and her. Because of that she left the convo and deleted him off fb. She really dislikes him.

I don't know how to handle this. I know he doesn't always do things in the right way, but his heart is good. I don't know what to do. He doesn't realise yet that she's deleted him (or at least I don't think he does), but he doesn't know I know about this party. I also don't wanna go knowing those guys are there anyway. And now i feel everything is awkward. This is proper playground stuff. She hates him.

What do I do? Do i tell him?

Learning how to tiptoe through proper social graces with different personalities all at the same time is tricky business. Since this all revolves around you, then its up to you to take control. I would suggest that you tell your bf and gf exactly where you'd like to have a celebration, and explain to the bf that you'd feel more comfortable with a "short list" of invitees, just people close to you, and that he has to UNINVITE his trouble-making buddies.

They won't blame him, they will blame you for being a picky woman, which is just fine...since it's for YOUR day.