Why is it hard to make friends at college?

xobeautyxo12

xobeautyxo12

I go to a community college and I have a hard time making new friends. In my freshmen year I meet new people but they are just acquaintances. I never actually hung out with any of them. I just saw them at school and we hung out in between classes but not outside of school. Now that I'm going to be a sophmore, I want to meet new people and acually hang out with them outside of school. When I meet new people at school, should I ask to hang out right away or wait until I know them better? How can I meet new people at school to hang out?

• Like 1

hmmmm i think for me you should know them better first in order for you to know them well and maybe you can invite them to your HBD so that you can start hang outing or like school projects and have a slumber party.. something like that i think it can help you boost confidence and please just be yourself. take good care and good luck

Other ways to meet friends on campus:

Take any old job at the stadium on game days, concessions, whatever. The student union or student employment office will have info on those type jobs.

Volunteer on event, dances, games, whatever. Volunteer to decorate or plan, whatever is needed. You'll meet other volunteers plus have a reason to be there for the event.

Join study groups. If you're really good at something, do a little tutoring. Talk to your campus student union and employment office or whatever they call it there and I bet they will point you in the right direction.

I think it's harder to meet people at a commuter school. When you go away to college you are stuck together in a new environment & nobody has the comforts of the familiar.

The best way to making lasting friendships is to get involved. Join groups & organizations that interest you. You can make lifelong friendships that way. In May I spent the weekend with sorority sisters from <gasp> 25 years ago! Do be the one to initiate: wanna see a movie? Wanna study? Wanna grab something to eat? Wanna hang out?

down hearted

Hi there!

I don't know if this helps but with me, I met some friends now in my university, how we all got close was because our program is with the same people for 2 years straight, and we are a small class so we pretty much became really close. It just happens. It all started by meeting up for studying as study groups in the library/ or at someone's house, then we celebrated everyone's birthday's as they came each month by meeting up after class like at a local restaurant or bar, then by the end of the semester we became so close that we planned a road trip together.

It just happens hopefully this helps. Start by getting together some study groups like initiate a study group say that you'll be at the library if anybody wants to meet up and study like that, thats how we started. I didn't really make friends in community college while taking prereqs i made them now when i transferred to a university that we are stuck together for 2 years straight w/out a choice lol

Ive found that its the easiest to make friends in language classes where you have to pair up or smaller classes with 10-20 people and with people with the same major.