Making friends on a shoestring

MassiveAtom

Hi all,

New area for me. I've been all over the other parts of the Shack.

Look, I'm getting divorced and I'm broke. Yeah I work, and make some good money but you know the story with divorce.

Yep, I can see the cleaners up the road right now.

ANyway, I need some Ideas for making fast friends cheap. I 'm not into my coworkers that much, they all do what I do, but they're already pals-o-mine.

I wish it were socially correct to walk up to people of the same sex and say, "hey man, let's hang out" and not have thinking you're after some booty.

suggestions, comments, rude remarks?

M.A.

There are days I wish to heavens this place had a FAQ.

Join clubs - many don't charge expensive membership fees. Volunteer for stuff - you'll meet lots of fellow-volunteers. You're short of dough so a university course is too pricey but community colleges or high schools often have courses for fairly cheap.

Check out your local community newspapers for events you can go to that interest you, don't cost much, and will have folks there you could interact with.

Check for online clubs for people in your area - sometimes these local groups have 3D meetings too.

• Author

Moimeme, I guess all those things I already knew. Fact is they ALL cost. I guess I'll be my own best friend for a while! :)

Sorry Tiki, I just don't do church.

But thanks.

I took a Spanish class at a college for free. I went and asked the teacher and he said ok. I didn´t need any credits or certificates, I just wanted to learn Spanish. And volunteer work is for free.

There are schools that need adults to help when they have a big project (like renovating the playground). There should be places to volunteer if you do a search online. How do you feel about kids? (Big Brothers may need help and if you can't help a kid because of your money situation, then they might have you help in another capacity).

Also, your interest (by your av) says that you sail . . . Good enough to teach a class? ? ? ? (That could earn you a lil extra income.)

• Author

Nah, Lil Honey, It's just a metaphor. Although I think it would be fun to learn!

But good ideas nonetheless.

mA

Join the Hatch House Harriers. Get some exercise and have fun. They´re an international group, so you will always have friends anywhere you go. :p

• Author
Originally posted by Lil Honey

Soooo . . . what you need are some money making ideas for you massive atoms, huh? :eek:

Sorry. I'm kidding. I just couldn't hold that one in . . . ;)

Hell yeah! :)

How observant! ;)

mA

MA, if it costs money to volunteer in your town, you gotta move. Last I heard, places like Habitat for Humanity, the Red Cross, etc etc etc only want your body.

Are you into sports? I have a guy friend who was in your shoes. Many places around me have intermural sports teams that you can sign up for, that don't cost much at all, and you would meet not only the people on your team, but the people on other teams, too - usually after the game, the team goes out and grabs something to eat, and maybe a beer...

If you are more of the spectator type, why not go to a sports bar when your local professional team is playing? You guys get all hyped up during the game - I went with my (platonic) male friend a few times and laughed, because he forgot I was there, I think! He was having SO much fun, met a lot of other guys there (sports is definitely a male-bonding thing!) and they all started making plans to meet there for every game. And in that kind of macho atmosphere, if you made an offer to hang out with anyone, I really doubt that they would think you were trying to get some booty! ;)

It's good to see that you are getting out, and wanting to go on. I think that you are a very wise person not wanting to start another relationship right away. What you need right now is friends! People with whom you can hang out with, have a good time, and laugh and learn to be happy again. You are the best, MA!

• Author
Originally posted by moimeme

MA, if it costs money to volunteer in your town, you gotta move. Last I heard, places like Habitat for Humanity, the Red Cross, etc etc etc only want your body.

I Volunteered for HFH!!!:laugh:

They never got back to me. I even have my OWN framing nailer! :)

It's a beautiful thing, that framing nailer. :love:

Now if I could only find a girlfriend who have the same impact! :laugh:

No seriously,, I should walk my self over there someday.

• Author
Originally posted by citygrrl

Are you into sports? I have a guy friend who was in your shoes. Many places around me have intermural sports teams that you can sign up for, that don't cost much at all, and you would meet not only the people on your team, but the people on other teams, too - usually after the game, the team goes out and grabs something to eat, and maybe a beer...

I'm totally into the Hash House Harriers idea. It's funny, when my STBXW and I separated the FIRST time, I started running, quit smoking and ran the Chicago Marathon all in that same year! :laugh: I went back, and as of today, I haven't run in over two years, and I started smoking again!:mad::laugh: I had some major problems! :laugh:

If you are more of the spectator type, why not go to a sports bar when your local professional team is playing? You guys get all hyped up during the game - I went with my (platonic) male friend a few times and laughed, because he forgot I was there, I think! He was having SO much fun, met a lot of other guys there (sports is definitely a male-bonding thing!) and they all started making plans to meet there for every game. And in that kind of macho atmosphere, if you made an offer to hang out with anyone, I really doubt that they would think you were trying to get some booty! ;)

I tell you, it's weird, I'm usually not that into sports, but I'll be damned if I'm not developing an interest in basketball! Playing AND watching. Did I De-Man myself for this "woman" or what?!?:sick: Time for a backbone re-implantation. :laugh::laugh: :laugh:

It's good to see that you are getting out, and wanting to go on. I think that you are a very wise person not wanting to start another relationship right away. What you need right now is friends! People with whom you can hang out with, have a good time, and laugh and learn to be happy again. You are the best, MA!

Originally posted by MassiveAtom

I wish it were socially correct to walk up to people of the same sex and say, "hey man, let's hang out"

M.A.

MA, I posted a similar thread when I first joined LS. It is just as hard to make women friends too, you are not alone. My best friend is my sister, though it was not always that way. We just really connected the past few months. My other best girlriend lives 500 miles away, and a new friend from work is married with a small child. But, they are all in relationships which makes it hard because you never want to be the lonely divorcee/single person who overstays there welcome, 3rd wheel, etc. You know? Like the other night, I went to the co-workers house because she wanted to hang out for a while, and when I knocked on the door, her hubbie answered and said "oh, hey, M, what are you doing here?" She didn't tell him I was coming over and I felt like I was intruding. He is cool, and didn't make me feel that way, but still...

So, when the kids aren't around, I see some lonely days and nights in my future, so I am especially glad I have found this place. . I'm going to join a gym, that seems safe and practical to me. And keep checking in at the shack, what eles can ya do?

Good Luck to us both!

M