The People that Call You and Keep Calling but Never Leave a Message?

sunshinesunshine

sunshinesunshine

I have had family, friends, strangers, etc. all call me and yet don't leave a voicemail message to let me know what they need or want. Instead they keep calling until I pick up the phone. It's like how hard is it for you to leave a brief 5 second message and have me call you back? Why do people do this and not leave a message when they have the chance too?

Well, it's exactly the same amount of hard as if YOU picked up your phone. You want them to wait until it's convenient for you to talk, but you're forgetting that it's not always convenient for THEM to talk. They called when they have a minute, and they are not leaving a message because they don't want whatever they're doing interrupted anymore than you do. And then they may go to the other room or go outside and then call you again when they're vack. I do this all the time. My sister has zero really going on that she can't pick up the phone, but she's just a jerk about it sometimes. We have this conversation a lot. Her: I'll call you back after awhile (longish explanation). Me: I could have told you what I had to tell you in the time it took you to explain why it's not a good time. I stop calling people who won't pick up eventually and mark them off my friend list when possible.

Well, it's exactly the same amount of hard as if YOU picked up your phone. You want them to wait until it's convenient for you to talk, but you're forgetting that it's not always convenient for THEM to talk. They called when they have a minute, and they are not leaving a message because they don't want whatever they're doing interrupted anymore than you do. And then they may go to the other room or go outside and then call you again when they're vack. I do this all the time. My sister has zero really going on that she can't pick up the phone, but she's just a jerk about it sometimes. We have this conversation a lot. Her: I'll call you back after awhile (longish explanation). Me: I could have told you what I had to tell you in the time it took you to explain why it's not a good time. I stop calling people who won't pick up eventually and mark them off my friend list when possible.

I disagree with this. It is annoying and RUDE when people call and hang up as soon as the voice mail comes on. These are CRANK CALLERS. Years ago there was a huge brouhaha because several people (relatives) kept calling me and hanging up instead of just saying “This is xxxx, Call me when you get a chance.” They did this repeatedly over the course of several days/nights and there was an important family situation going on. I was working long hours, and when I was home I was either in the bathroom, taking out the trash, dealing with a hot skillet of whatever on the phone, etc. I was not avoiding or screening calls. I later told them I have no time or room in my life to play phone games. Jerks who do that are doing me a favor if they stop calling.

Sunshinesunshine You are correct. Maybe you should call them repeatedly and just hang up to let them know how it feels.

^ They don't WANT you to call them when you get a chance because then THEY will be busy. It's usually a case of one person doesn't want to talk to the other or neither wants to talk that bad to make time for it. It goes both ways.

^ They don't WANT you to call them when you get a chance because then THEY will be busy. It's usually a case of one person doesn't want to talk to the other or neither wants to talk that bad to make time for it. It goes both ways.

You’re missing the point (deliberately, I think). People who repeatedly make hang up calls are juvenile CRANK CALLERS. My time is as important to me as the caller’s time is to him/her. No, it doesn't "go both ways". If people don’t want to talk to someone they shouldn’t dial their number – DUH. It’s stupid and I don’t tolerate that crap. I refuse to wonder and analyze what their motives might be or what might be going on in their heads.

I don't leave a message with one of my friends because she will call back early in the morning or late at night when I'm asleep. Anyway, everyone has Caller ID. They know you called. So they could call back if they wanted to. I don't call over and over in a row. I call back anytime I have time to have the call and see if they have time to pick up. Also, sometimes when I call my sister it's just to let her know I'm going to eat in case she wants to go. If she doesn't pick up, I know she's either not there or busy and so I have no need to leave a message because I'm going to eat with or without her.

I never leave a voice mail. I either try calling again or I text. I seem to lose the ability to speak whenever the voice mail kick in!

Art_Critic

I think that today in the age of the cell technology that calling someone and getting no answer is in essence calling someone and leaving a message to call them back.

With caller ID they know you called and should call you back.. IMO

As far as keep calling.. well because they know you can see who called they probably feel "screened" and are trying to bypass your screening the call in order to speak to you.

such as life.. remember the good ole days when you didn't know if someone called you until you got home after work and listened to your hangups on the answering machine, we live in an instant life right now where people expect you to answer right away.. texting and email alike

There seems to be a whole lot of butthurt in here about nothing really.

Some people leave voice messages, some send a text, some leave a missed call.

I don't see any of these as rude, and I really have no idea why some people are so angry about it. I call my friends all the time, and I don't leave voice mails. Family too. I only leave voice mails in professional situations, or if I'm trying to book an appointment or something like that.

If someone has my number saved, I call, they either answer and we speak, or they don't and I hang up. They call me back when they're free, I answer if I'm free, and we talk.

All seems pretty simple to me, no need to overcomplicate it or get offended.

There seems to be a whole lot of butthurt in here about nothing really.

Some people leave voice messages, some send a text, some leave a missed call.

I don't see any of these as rude, and I really have no idea why some people are so angry about it. I call my friends all the time, and I don't leave voice mails. Family too. I only leave voice mails in professional situations, or if I'm trying to book an appointment or something like that.

If someone has my number saved, I call, they either answer and we speak, or they don't and I hang up. They call me back when they're free, I answer if I'm free, and we talk.

All seems pretty simple to me, no need to overcomplicate it or get offended.

If you look at the thread title you’ll see the issue is people who repeatedly call and hang up. If you want to see that as simple and nothing to get angry about, fine. But it’s called telephone harassment and it’s rude, among other things.

‘nother thing….since “butts” have been brought into this……when CRANK CALLERS repeatedly dial your phone number and hang up, they think they’re covering their butts: “I tried to call you but I guess you weren’t home”. That is a steaming load of BS.

Not everyone has caller ID. Some people have never had it. People can also block their number from showing up on a cell or land line. It's easy. Not everyone has everyone else's number on their list of callers. No one should have to listen to a couple dozen hangups or plow thru several phone numbers and try to figure out who called and why.