"Relax"

HansonGirl

So I am on the fence about this one friend and lately I am getting annoyed. First of all she sends me tons of selfies of herself even though I have asked her to please stop it. Some of them she is even making provocative faces. It's not like it's relevant to any conversation. She just randomly sends them without any accompanying text to put it in context. She simply takes pictures of herself and for some reason thinks her straight female friend wants to see them.

Anyways. In one of them she is wearing what looks like a fur coat. I simply asked, Is that real fur? Her response: yes it's real. I simply ask: why would you send a pic of a fur coat to someone you know is vegan ? So finally she responds: it's fake. Relax.

I was already relaxed. It's not like I was riled up. I simply asked a question. but wtf is up with that. First she sends me unwanted selfies and then tells me to "relax" about it.

Do any of you have a friend who sends you tons of selfies , possibly looking for compliments or something? (Not even sure why she sends me them)

whichwayisup

How old are you and your friend?

Stop opening her pictures, just delete them without looking.

I was already relaxed. It's not like I was riled up. I simply asked a question.

Oh come on. Don't do that "I was simply asking a question!" thing. You were making an issue out of it. Not that you were wrong for pointing it out, though. And her response was flippant and juvenile.

But to answer your question, no, I don't have friends who text me selfies for no reason. I think it's pretty bizarre, to be honest. If it's possible to block images in texts, I would do that. Or just block her texts altogether.

• Author
Oh come on. Don't do that "I was simply asking a question!" thing. You were making an issue out of it. Not that you were wrong for pointing it out, though. And her response was flippant and juvenile.

But to answer your question, no, I don't have friends who text me selfies for no reason. I think it's pretty bizarre, to be honest. If it's possible to block images in texts, I would do that. Or just block her texts altogether.

I am not sure what you mean by "making an issue out of it," but if being a little offended and critically questioning someone's actions, then yes, I was making an issue of it. But what i meant was, I wasn't riled up and excited to warrant a "relax" response. I can't stand when people say that anyways, it's like, dismissive of the person. Oh i forgot to mention she added, "it was a joke" Hahah, how hilarious. Anyways, it's fine if it was a joke (not a very funny one) but i didn't appreciate the response and this is not the first time she has basically responded to my legitimate feelings. I think when i think about it i get pissed off because it's like i feel like i let this happen and I let myself get disrespected by her once again and she feels like she has "won" that little text exchange. Kinda weird way to look at it but i can't really explain it.

anyways, i will see if i can block text photos. What bothers me the most is the fact that she keeps sending them EVEN after i have repeatedly asked her to stop. Frankly it makes me uncomfortable (which I have told her), yet she keeps sending them. She has no respect for my wishes and it just bothers me. So it's not the technical aspect of receiving photos. it's the friendship aspect of it of someone who enjoys talking to me (apparently) and values the friendship (apparently..) but has no respect for my wishes or my feelings.

How about you block her from your phone? And stop being her friend?

You are complaining about something you could resolve so easily.

It's really stupid of her to keep sending them to you when you've asked her to stop. Have you been blunt enough? Tell her, " _____, seriously, your selfies are cluttering up my inbox. If you had something important to say, I probably wouldn't see it because I've stopped opening them up, knowing it's just going to be more selfies. Please stop." If she still doesn't comply, block her from texting.

I don't like texting because I don't want to have to turn my phone on all the time, so I've gone two months without seeing a text before. That will usually get people to stop doing it, when you're not even looking at it.