I don't feel like I have much in common with my friends

I love my friends but I really don't feel like I have much in common with them anymore. I feel a little disconnected from them at times because they all have great jobs in the medical and banking fields and I'm at the bottom of the totem pole at mine and I make the least amount of money of them all. Also, unlike them, I'm not financially stable right now, I don't own my own home, and I'm not married. My friends also have expensive tastes and I can't always afford to do the things they want to do. Before, I could manage a little better and was able to set aside money to do things with them but I had a few things come up and there has been plenty times where I've been forced to stretch my money as thin as it'll go in order to pay bills on time. I've told them about my situation on numerous occasions but they don't seem to fully grasp the seriousness of me saying "I'm broke", a lot of times I'll hear "How are you broke if you just got paid?" or they'll still try to convince me to go out to do things with them. Sometimes, if I can, I'll give in and go but there has been plenty of times where I've had to say no and it makes me feel a little guilty at times because I feel like they think I just don't want to hang with them. I also don't like having one of them pay my way when we go places, I rather just stay at home if I don't have it. I've thought of maybe trying to make new friends who are more on my level, so to speak, but I don't want to stop hanging with the friends I already have because they are great friends that I've known for a while now. I really just need to spend some time away from them, I think, to focus on getting myself together. I just don't have any idea of how to go about doing this. Any suggestions?

You can spend time away from them or you can suggest more affordable things to do.

lilmiscassie92

I agree with the previous responder. Have you tried suggesting free things to do instead? Maybe invite a friend or two over to relax and watch a movie or see if they are okay with you coming over to catch up and chat? Go for a hike or a walk together. If that doesn't work, you need to focus on yourself and your financial situation. If they can't understand it or they guilt you into spending money, which you later feel guilty about spending, then perhaps you should rethink spending time with these people. No one should be peer pressuring anyone to do something they don't want to, or can't, do.