Friends of the same sex vs. opposite sex

utilisateur

utilisateur

Hey everyone,

I had an abusive childhood that made me essentially a loner until I was in sixth grade and started to slowly come out of my shell. So there are a lot of things I think are "obvious" to normal people but I have no clue about.

Other than possibly avoiding certain topics and behaviors that you wouldn't feel comfortable doing around the opposite sex, how do you treat friends of the opposite sex vs. the same sex?

For me as a guy, when I talk to female friends I avoid bro-ey topics, but other than that, I treat them the same as I do my guy friends. But sometimes I'm uncomfortable asking them to hang out just one on one with me, in case they think I'm asking them out on a date.

In what ways do you treat opposite sex friends the same as / different from same sex friends? How often do you flirt with opposite sex friends? Do you ever show your opposite sex friends that you're attracted to them, even if you're not thinking of dating them at that moment?

justacollegekid
Hey everyone,

I had an abusive childhood that made me essentially a loner until I was in sixth grade and started to slowly come out of my shell. So there are a lot of things I think are "obvious" to normal people but I have no clue about.

Other than possibly avoiding certain topics and behaviors that you wouldn't feel comfortable doing around the opposite sex, how do you treat friends of the opposite sex vs. the same sex?

For me as a guy, when I talk to female friends I avoid bro-ey topics, but other than that, I treat them the same as I do my guy friends. But sometimes I'm uncomfortable asking them to hang out just one on one with me, in case they think I'm asking them out on a date.

In what ways do you treat opposite sex friends the same as / different from same sex friends? How often do you flirt with opposite sex friends? Do you ever show your opposite sex friends that you're attracted to them, even if you're not thinking of dating them at that moment?

You pretty much got it right. To keep it platonic, for the most part keep it group, but you can ask them to hang out one on one in a very casual way, like in passing and keep it public one on one because that could otherwise get confused. I think flirting with opposite sex friends is a danger zone, but as long as you aren't becoming friends with girls you are attracted to in that way and instead have developed an attraction based on a friendship, then if you flirt while being conscious of whether they are reciprocating or not, go for it. I'm saying this because there is nothing more off-putting than a guy friend who won't stop flirting with me that I am not interested in.