Conversation by texting

utilisateur

utilisateur

Hey everyone,

I think most people nowadays prefer to text than to call. But texting is so frustrating because people usually take hours to days to respond, and often times one of us will forget to reply. Which makes a conversation last days.

Excluding BFFs who know all of your secrets, and acquaintances and coworkers who you don't really talk to, how often do you text your friends? How often do you call them?

If you want to hang out, do you simply cut to the chase and ask, or do you send a few messages of small talk?

Hi thanks for posting this

I was actually going to seek advice on a similar topic but haven't got around to posting it yet, because I have a friend who is refusing to talk to me and will only talk on the chat app, 'whatsapp'. It's gone on for a couple of years and I'm getting tired of it. She won't call, and won't pick my call - but incessently whatsapps.

But to go back to the original question, personally I find it frustrating when friends try to have text conversations. It can go on for hours and is a waste of time, and as you mentioned can sometimes be left unfinished. If we've already talked/emailed and know we're hanging out at a certain time/place, texting might take place on the day to confirm or see where we are. It is not good for the mind to only deal in texting.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

i think texting can be used in moderation, especially when first getting to know someone.....but it shouldnt replace phone conversations or real time spent getting to know each other..i do feel sensitive subjects or intense conversations are best left to be done in person.

so there would not be confusion of meaning or merit behind words that are often ambiguous when sent by text.......thats my opinion anyway...deb

I am a texter. I don't like talking on the phone with anyone that isn't my mom.

So, with that being said, you can imagine that I have long convos via text. But usually just with my closest friends. There are 3 or 4 people I text almost daily. A few others I text occasionally.

If I want to hang out, I just send a text asking what they're up to and do they want to do something. Easy. It's rare that anyone takes too long to answer.

• Like 1
  • Author
utilisateur

So if I don't want to text and want to meet up, should I simply send them a messsage out of the blue, saying "Hey man, want to go bowling at 8pm on Tuesday?" or should I send "Hey, how's it going?" then wait for the response, then text "awesome, want to go bowling?" then wait, then ask "what's a good time that works for you?"

So if I don't want to text and want to meet up, should I simply send them a messsage out of the blue, saying "Hey man, want to go bowling at 8pm on Tuesday?" or should I send "Hey, how's it going?" then wait for the response, then text "awesome, want to go bowling?" then wait, then ask "what's a good time that works for you?"

Ask it straight! Why would you try and small talk while texting?? Just get to the point and then you'll get an answer, without having to wait ages!

I text and Watsapp a lot and I can relate to you in a way.I have this friend who only wants to text and It's been going on for a year and I'm getting a bit tired of the texting relashing.We never spoke on the phone,I brought it up a couple times and I let it go when my friend said she didn't like her voice.It was almost funny to me because It was an excuse to me .

I text a lot but there are limits and most of my friends don't really do the all day texting but yeah I feel you.