Let's just be friends!

Paradise808

I was in a relationship with a man for a year. We decided to mutually end the relationship. In the past, I never stay in contact with any man I've been in a relationship with after it's ended. However this time it's different. He told me he wants to be friends with me. As a matter of fact, now that we are just friends, he calls just as much as and we talk just as much as when we were in relationship. He says he cares about me a lot and wants to know how I'm doing daily. He has a new girlfriend now. I've moved on too. I've been on some dates with guys. But once I start talking about guys with my friend or ask how he and his girlfriend are doing, he wants to change the subject. This is just all so new to me. Can men and women who were in a relationship together in the past be just friends now? Why would a man want to stay friends with a woman he was in a relationship with?

fitnessfan365

I think your main mistake was not letting enough time pass. It sounds like you two went directly into trying to be friends right after you broke up. If you had let the dust settle, spent 6-12 months apart, and then re-connected to try and be friends down the road, it might be OK. But in this case, I think everything is still way too fresh. I mean this is a guy you were in a relationship with for an entire year.

• Like 1

I agree. You need to put a little distance between you so it doesn't conflict with any relationships. Don't let him be too visible in your life. Don't worry if he wants to sabotage himself, but don't let him cross that line in your life and keep men away. If I were you, I wouldn't even give him any info (ammo) to use.

Frank2thepoint
Why would a man want to stay friends with a woman he was in a relationship with?

To try to have sex with an ex.

You should be curious if your ex's new girlfriend knows that he is maintaining contact with you. It's unfair to her that he is having an emotional affair with you.

Why might someone who you were previously romantically involved with want to be friends with you?

Because they care about you, want you in their life, and want to be your friend. There isn't always an ulterior motive!