Should I give up on potential friend?

jawswashington

jawswashington

I met this really cool girl when I was an intern. I did ask her out and found out she had a boyfriend. However, I still feel like she’s a friend worth having just because she’s a wonderful person and we have many interests in common. We connect on the same level. We’ve kept in touch through text after I stopped working there. I really felt like we were becoming more than acquaintances. She let me know about job opportunities and helped me edit my cover letters. I’ve helped her tutor in English and it really felt like we were becoming closer. We’ve tried to get together for lunch but it just hasn’t happened due to our busy schedules and the fact that we live an hour apart. If we don’t talk for a couple weeks, one of us would send the other a text to see how they're doing.

However, recently, we have been texting less and less frequently. She’s taken longer to respond to my texts. I know she’s not the best texter as she’s done so in the past but something just feels different. Last week, I asked her if we could try to get together for lunch again but she never responded. I feel like maybe I’m coming on too strong in our friendship and she’s taking a step back. Should I contact her again? Or should I give up and admit that we are better off as acquaintances? How should I go about it?

I'd stop texting her. She's not responding because she's probably feeling guilty going behind her bf's back to be in contact with you. If it was your gf, would you be ok with her having/texting a male friend? Just let it go.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with an attached woman having a male friend, but the fact that you asked her out makes you look suspicious to her boyfriend. It doesn't matter how long ago it was. Take a step back and let her contact you next, if she decides to. Don't contact her again unless it is for a purely professional reason, like if you need a reference.

• Like 1