Feeling like a third wheel again

djcos25

So my best friend just hit the 1 year anniversary with his girlfriend. First off, let me say I am happy for him, I love hanging out with both of them. We all seem to have the same type of humor, and if we take a dig at someone, any of us can give it right back. His girlfriend actually tried setting me up with one of her friends. She ended up playing games and my friend and his girlfriend were not happy at all with her and stuck up for me.

As my best friend said, his current girlfriend has much more of a personality then his last girlfriend. His last girlfriend was his first. The problem I have is he can be too lovey-dovey with his girl, it seems like no matter who it is. My other best friend even noticed it with his first girlfriend. We didn't want to hang out with him because of that reason, it would get annoying. I am not trying to intervene in the relationship, nor am I trying to dictate how he should run his relationships. It just makes me feel awkward all the time. Its only when he does PDAs. I've been single for a year now, and when I was dating I would refrain from doing PDAs. Not 100%, but I wouldn't do it to make the other person feel uncomfortable.

The reason I'm posting is because it started happening yesterday. The past few times we hung out its been great. A few baseball games, dinner, hanging out, its been good. We went to a comic con convention yesterday, and the whole time he was all over her. He kept giving her little kisses every 10 minutes and every 5th word out of his mouth he kept calling her '"baby." This is exactly what I'm talking about and that's when I get uncomfortable. At that point, its like what do I do?

Any advice? Should I mention it or let it slide and see if what happened yesterday continues, and then maybe mention it? Also its not like I've known him for 5 years. We're both 28, I've known him since like Kindergarten, we're practically brothers. I just don't want to look like a jerk thats all. Especially to his girlfriend.

Edited by djcos25

Do one on one things with him every second month. That way you are not very dependent on him socially and you can get on with the other aspects of your life without being annoyed by his actions.

Some men are so into their SO that they don't know how to pull back. I think its more of a social awkward thing on their part. Plus they are still in honeymoon phase and have not faced major challenged such as boredom or other factors.

Even if you do tell him. Then what. Is he really going to change. Just cut down seeing him and make it more boys night out, by saying its boys night out. If he pushes you to state why is it boys night out. Then tell him that the PDA is annoying an awkward.

We all seem to have the same type of humor, and if we take a dig at someone, any of us can give it right back.

Then why don't you try tossing some mild, playful digs at him when he starts being annoying with his PDAs? That's where the phrase "Get a room" came from. Start calling him the pet names that he calls her. Ask him if you're next after he kisses her. Make obnoxious kissing noises at them. It's very juvenile and possibly passive-aggressive, but if you can kind of call him out on it and let him know that it's not going unnoticed, he might cut it out without you having to sit him down to have an uncomfortable discussion with him.

...Actually I just reread your post and noticed that this was the first time it's happened. I wouldn't say or do anything yet. Maybe it was a one-time thing.