Do you think that it is out-of-line to block a friend on Facebook for no valid reason

I saw on my newsfeed that my best friend, whom I introduced Facebook to, was now friends with 35 new people. Her FB friend, Nick wrote on her wall, "Where are you at that you are meeting so many people?" And then I wrote on her wall, "35 friends in one day?! Nick is right. You sure are popular!" I really meant to compliment her casually and make her look good to others by writing that. However, she sent me a private message saying, "Please do not draw attention to how many FB friends I have or how fast I get them. I am networking and do not want it advertised. It will look like I am collecting friends to look popular instead of caring for them individually." She wrote more accusatory stuff to me. I defended myself, and we went back and forth till I finally said, "You are taking this wayyy too seriously." And she wrote back saying, "Enough. You are being derogatory. You know what you are doing." Then she blocked me on Facebook and immediately sent me an e-mail to my g-mail account explaining her point of view again. She unblocked me right after, but I still feel that our friendship is scarred from what she did. That she slapped me in the face right after I just meant to compliment her.

I think that blocking a best friend for no valid reason is out-of-line and like cheating on a significant other. However, she thinks that she had a valid reason and does not think that blocking was evil or unmerited.

I need a second opinion on this. What do you all think?

Hmmm, maybe just let things cool off for a little while. Blocking her now would be antagonistic and likely end the friendship. If they are important to you, take some time to let it settle and think on it before doing anything else.

evanescentworld

I think if you let this bother you too much, you'll embitter your own life.

Two questions:

How vitally important do you think this will be in a year's time?

If you discovered she had 3 weeks to live, how important would this be, in comparison?

Put things into perspective.

Let it go, forget about it, and just act normal.

you should have just said yes ok, not tried to gatecrash her networking plans, taking the trouble to pertsistently correct her in messages was not great, you are not her boss, let it go if you like her

People do social media for all different reasons, and you've got to respect that. Your comment could have been taken as you were being nosy and judgmental.

• Like 2
purplesoccer34

I can see why she wouldn't want you to draw attention to how many facebook friends she has. If one of my friends did that, I wouldn't be mad or anything, but it might make me slightly uncomfortable.

If her friendship is important to you, I would just apologize (even though you might not have done anything terribly wrong), and explain that you want to be friends again. I think that her blocking you on facebook is...not exactly out of line, but it's a little dramatic.

I think you should block her.. and don't unblock her.

Life is too short for drama on FB...and yes you would have a valid reason.. that you don't want drama from FB

• Like 1

FB is a funny place.

I blocked my best friend for a couple of days a while back because I couldn't trust myself to be civil to her Ahole bf.:laugh:

When I explained to her that I blocked her because said bf isn't good enough for her and I couldn't trust myself to keep my opinions to myself, she said that it was the nicest thing anyone had said to her in weeks and forgave me for the temporary blocking.

Move on. Don't let a little bit of FB interaction wreck your friendship.

I saw on my newsfeed that my best friend, whom I introduced Facebook to, was now friends with 35 new people. Her FB friend, Nick wrote on her wall, "Where are you at that you are meeting so many people?" And then I wrote on her wall, "35 friends in one day?! Nick is right. You sure are popular!" I really meant to compliment her casually and make her look good to others by writing that. However, she sent me a private message saying, "Please do not draw attention to how many FB friends I have or how fast I get them. I am networking and do not want it advertised. It will look like I am collecting friends to look popular instead of caring for them individually." She wrote more accusatory stuff to me. I defended myself, and we went back and forth What do you all think?

here's where you went wrong. you should not have gone "back and forth".

she told you her goal was "networking". and i think that was said to you "in confidence".

you're "friends", right?

tell her you're sorry.

or, tell her to piss off.

• Author

I was not being nosy and judgmental. I thought that she and I loved each other with no bounds so I would not be nosy. Neither was I being judgmental. I respected that she wanted to network for whatever reason and wanted that privacy. However, what I did not respect was that she blocked me for no valid reason.

And I did apologize for catching a bad time to post on her wall about her many friends. However, I did nothing else to apologize for. She is the one who should apologize for being petty and blocking me.