Friends with depression, feeling bad for not calling

PuppetLife

A friend of mine have depression and she went to the doctor, the doctor said it's a small problem, not a big deal. Just then she send me a picture of herself, with bleeding hand. I ask her what's wrong, she said she was angry and so decided to punch a mirror. I ask if she wants me to call her, and she said don't worry about it, and so i didn't, but i talk to her through messaging. But now she is asking me why didn't i call her. I said it's because she said don't worry, so i thought she meant not to call her. She said she was just seeing if i actually care, because if i do, i would call her no matter what she said.

Dealing with depression and needing support and asking for it is one thing, but your friend is emotionally blackmailing you.

I would not feed into it for a second. Tell her if she needs support not to hesitate to let you know and leave it at that. You did nothing wrong- she is the one being manipulative here.

She's obviously seeking attention, so glad she's getting the professional kind because that's what she needs. Meanwhile, just text her once in awhile and give her any little cheery bit of news and say you hope she's feeling better. It's all you can do. If she was isolating, I'd say try to get her in the shower and out of the house, but sounds like she's acting out more than anything.

VeronicaRoss

Look up 'borderline personality disorder'. People who harm themselves and try to make you responsible aren't just pulling themselves down. If you feel drawn to help you really should get help for yourself first imho if for no other reason than you need to know what you're dealing with and understand the limits of what you can offer with any effect.

• Like 1