Inviting female friend to wedding

secretglider

secretglider

I have been invited to a wedding, plus a guest. It will be a very small event, and I already know 95% of the people who are invited (plus their guests, who I don't know, obviously).

Is it weird to ask a female friend (a very good friend of many years, who I see alone often, although she has a boyfriend) to the wedding just as a friend?

I'd normally go alone and want to meet people, but as I know most people who will be there and they are all bringing their other halves, I feel like I might be alone or the odd one out.

Any thoughts? Just worried it might seem a little weird if I ask.

Because she has a BF unless you know him well enough to know he'll be OK with this, asking her will put her in a awkward spot. She will want to be nice to you because you are friends but if her BF gets upset she will have to disappoint you.

If no BF was involved it would be OK. Before I met DH I was the resident stand in wedding / company party "date" for about 1/2 dozen of my guy friends.

I have a guy DH calls my "work husband" who goes to industry events with me when DH doesn't want to go. So it depends on the people.

• 1 month later...
  • Author
secretglider

An update...

I asked if she was doing anything that weekend (no mention of the wedding), which she was. I then sometime later mentioned I'd be going to a wedding that weekend and would need a date to go with, we then discussed this for a while.

Anyway, a few days later, she tells me she has changed her plans for that weekend and asked if I would like to take her.

So turns out I never actually asked her in the end...!