Issue with Friend

Dear Loveshack users,

I've often come to this forum, and followed threads, and posted some issues regarding interpersonal relationships. I apologize for the long post below, but I need to get something off my chest concerning a friend of mine. Social anxiety is no stranger to me, so sometimes I find it's helpful for me to vent out some issues. Maybe you've had similar issues, so I'd like to hear you on this:

I've befriended a friend now in law school, and we hit off pretty well: we'd tease each other, talk and text everyday. Once a while, I'd walk her back home. Over the past four months, I've developed some feelings for her, but nothing too serious...I'd reserve her seat in class and work on assignments with her. I have often bought her cakes, and do all those little things such as holding the door for her, and making sure she gets home safe, you name it. She'd smile when she saw that I'd reserved her seat by putting a muffin and juice on it :), other times she'd text me saying, "you really shouldn't have" and "very thoughtful of you." Call me crazy, but I know she likes Starbucks a lot, so I secretly bought her a gift card for her birthday in September. I just feel it is something, which I must do for her.

I've felt that she likes me, so I asked her out on a few occasions after we finished studying, and she was very enthusiastic about it (I asked her once and confirmed with her another time that we'd hang out after exams). But now that exams are over, I've texted her and called her a few times to arrange something with her, but she'd not respond. I don't expect anything from her, but I just want her to be honest with me about her feelings (at least just tell me no, it's fine). She is so confusing me. I am now so afraid and anxious that I'd lose her friendship. What did I do wrong?

Honestly, I just want her to be safe and happy in life, I'd really like to care and help her whenever she needs someone. I don't see myself being her romantic partner, yet I feel I must care and hear from her every week or so. I miss her a lot; I'd make a lot of sacrifices to save our friendship, I would really love to.

I don't want to pressure her or anything, I just want her to be well. Did I screw up anything? Should I send her a message and apologize for texting and calling her so much?

Edited by GGZ

Not much you can do, your feeling are pretty clear to her. You have to find someone else, if you can do that, it'll help forget about her. She may or may not contact you. If she does (which is rear) great, but don't wait up on her.

• Author

Well, I've told her I'd respect and understand her feelings. I mean no harm or anything...I don't get it, was I not good enough to her?

This issue appears to lie fully with her, not you. I don't think you did anything wrong or need to apologize for anything. Let her come to you and otherwise don't sweat it if she doesn't because it's not your problem. I am sorry you are having these feelings however! xx