Why does my friend stay with a bitchy controlling gf?

My best friend from college has been dating this girl for 3 years now. Lately she become such a bitch and controlling but he doesnt seem to be bothered by it at all. Just yesterday we were at her apartment and she wanted to show us something in her room so we went up the stairs and she said "Ugh, you walked right past this stuff I had on the bottom step. It obviously needed to be brought upstairs, you havent been trained yet." This wasnt something heavy where I could see she needed a guy to help, but even then you ask nicely. If my gf said that to me id tell her to ask me or bring it up the stairs herself... have a little courtesy. But besides that, theyre about to move in together and shes on some diet plan and can only have non-fat dressing and is giving him crap and saying that he cant have regular dressing because it will be easier for her if its not in the house. Are you kidding me? I know these are minor things but its little things like this ALL the time and with me the little things tick me off just as much as the big stuff. In my opinion he could do MUCH better than her and the only reason he's moving in with her is because its makes sense financially. I dont know, I guess I cant say anything as Ive already lost a couple friends trying to mediate between arguments, but its just so frustrating...i mean it pisses me off and none of it is even directed at me.

The other thing is that he's not usually one to not say anything, outside of this relationship he's got cajones but with her he seems to just roll over...

Maybe I just needed to rant a little bit...

He doesn't see her behavior the same way you do--or he enjoys being bossed around by her. There would not be professional dominatrixes if a number of individuals didn't want someone to discipline them at times. :D

I can't blame you for not liking how your friend is being treated by his prima donna gf, but stay out of it. If he gets tired of her BS, he can end it with her.

They're together for 3 years. Even if right now she turned into this b!tch, I doubt he sees it that way. He sees her the way she was when they were good together. LEt him come to his senses, because once they live together, he'll see her as she is now, not as she once was... in time I think he'll dump her.

Why?

Well, I have this theory. I've noticed that people who stay in a relationship for more than 3 years usually split up when reaching 4 years. Or do stay together, but from all of the friends I have I know only one couple who got married. They were together for 9 years. The rest of them - more then 6 couples, 3 couples split up and 3 still are together but they are not talking about marriage. Thjose not talking about marriage have passed the 4 years problem.

It's just my experience anyway...

He's been with her for 3 years and probably forgot what a nice girl is like..lol..

It happened to my friend. He was with this girl for only a year though and had to call her about every 5 mins. Wasn't allowed to do anything he wanted and always had to lie about the stupidest things because she would get mad.

Everyone told him but he never saw it untill one day. It just hit him. Now he met another girl and he's so happy. He even told me he feels "free".

I would hate for your friend to move in with her and then have to find out what shes like but then what are you going to do u know?

He has to wait and see it on his own. And if not then he really loves this girl and doesn't mind those little things. Those little things probably tick you off but he doesn't care.

Does she treat him correctly, is she faithful to him, does she make him happy? If so then leave it alone.

Yeah, I think they do forget what it's like to be with someone who will treat them right. I guess women can be the same way too. But my BF stayed with his wife for 8 years though everyone (friends and family) tried telling him she wasn't good for him before he even married her. Over the years he'd gotten to the point he couldn't stand being around her and tried to be gone as much as possible. Then he started talking to me and I treated him like a friend. I guess that's what caused him to open his eyes to the fact she really did treat him like sh*t and he didn't have to put up with it.

He has since filed for divorce and she's moved out. He's so much happier. It's even noticable on the phone the perkiness in his voice anymore.

But yeah, your friend will have to learn on his own. Until then, just try to tolerate the situation as best as possible.

• Author

Yeah you guys are right, i'll stay out of it, theres just some times where i'm so close to saying something. As for the post about her being "hot," thats a negative. She's not ugly, but not hot, id say a 6...i have no clue as to how she is in bed.

I know theyre happy together sometimes, but it seems like she makes his life so crappy other times. When he goes to med school she's moving with him into an apt. Oh yeah, shes also giving him crap for not applying to med schools that she wants him to go to... :mad: He just seems like he's married and trapped already, but you guys are right, he must not see it that way.

Oh well, i hope he will open his eyes soon since he's only 21 and is passing up a lot of things for this girl.

Thx for the replies everyone...

Love is blind.

Either he'll realize she sucks someday or he'll marry her because she won't let him break up with her.