How to meet new people?

ziggue

BitsAndPieces

Hey there, Just joined this forum today and I am having the same problem as you at the moment. I am 32 years old and single and live by a huge city but it is SO HARD to meet people. I am a bit shy but I don't know how it is by you but people that start conversation over here usually want to sell you something/want something from you (well I shouldn't generalize but..."very often" is more accurate). And yes I've made my share of weirdos!

I don't know your situation but I've made the most friends during my travels. I backpacked through Australia for my last 4 trips (I looove traveling) and met some of the most amazing people and more importantly some 'genuine' friendships. Australia is one of the safest places to do so but if you do your research and plan accordingly, I think you can try it in most places.

If traveling is not an option right now...did you ever try using sites such as meetup.com for your area? I haven't tried it yet but plan on it...just going through some things at the moment. Or you could also try a subreddit on reddit, for example type http://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/...or just google the town you're in, or the closest city, and the word "reddit"....you'll see meetups there and I am sure you can make a friend by chatting on something local in your city. It's hilarious bonding with someone over something stupid that happened locally.

It's hard to meet people at my age because most of my friends are either with someone/married/have kids and are single but super busy. I think the younger you are the easier it is - unfortunately and the weird thing with certain places is that despite you being surrounded by so many people, it can actually be very lonely a lot of the time! I lived on a tiny island in AU for 6 months and the population was extremely small and I couldn't believe how easy it was for me to make friends there. It's just hard in the certain areas, especially cities.

Anyway, hope this helps :)

Volunteer somewhere doing something you care about

Meetup.com

Join a group like the Elks, the Rotary, the Lions, the Kiwanis etc.

Say hi to someone in the gym or at the library / bookstore

Get involved with your alumni association

At Church -- go to the social events

• 2 weeks later...
article_submission

you can find the new friends on social media websites. you can add them & improve you contact

The first year will probably be a bit lonely no matter how hard you try, but there are some tips, and I learned them by moving to a new town myself a gazillion years ago.

First, if at all possible, get a job doing something you kind of like. That's the best way if you can pull it off because then you are hopefully around people several hours a day who you may have something in common with, common interests.

If that's not possible, make yourself, whether you hate to go out alone or not, go out alone and do the things you love best. If you love animals, go to the zoo, volunteer at the zoo, volunteer at a shelter or rescue operation. If you love sports, join a local team. If you love music, go see a new band at least twice a week. That was one of my big passions. Hang around outside the door a little for a breath of fresh air, where you can hear someone talk, and usually there's a few friendly people out there doing the same thing.

If you like cooking, take a cooking class -- or any class at all. It doesn't even have to be for credit so that there's no pressure, just something you always wanted to do.

Start having your hair styled once a month. It's pretty easy to strike up conversations at the barber shop or salon.

It's simple: Do what you love best and you will meet other people who love the same things you do and have something to talk to you about.