Christian friends talking religion and politics at work...

petitefleur

Hello :)

I work with a couple of people who I have sort-of become friends with. I know one of them from a previous job and they both know each other from a long time ago. These two have recently (to my knowledge) become hardcore Christians and since they feel they're among friends they are comfortable talking about their religion and their political views at work - among themselves but always out loud and in front of others.

I am not a Christian and we don't share political views and they're aware of this. I'm a spiritual person, not really religious and it's becoming very hard for me to stand hearing them talk about things I think are ludicrous, like science vs. religion (we're scientists!) and things I consider racist. They treat people fairly but make very distasteful and stereotypical comments about people of other races and religions. In short, they believe they're always right, everybody else is wrong and they're superior to other races and religions. (What kind of Christians are they?!)

They do not treat me badly and have tried to "debate" with me about the discrepancies in our beliefs but I refuse to do it since I'm not into politics at all and can't debate at their level. They always want to debate and try to prove me wrong. I just don't care about this stuff and I don't think I should be having to hear them talk about politics and religion at work.

I have considered going to HR, to my manager and the most sensible thing which would be talking to them and addressing the issue but I don't want to make my work environment a hostile one. Lately, I don't even want to have anything to do with them and don't really want to be friends with them either. I don't see them out of work that often anymore but still, I don't want to be in bad terms with them.

What to do?

I know I should talk to them but I'm not the confrontational type. Most of the time I put my earphones on or just walk away from them but my patience is reaching its limits… UGH!!!

Sorry, I needed to vent!

Edited by petitefleur

Go to the HR and tell him/her and let them deal with it. There's a time and a place for everything and the work place is not where they stand on their bully pulpit and preach to the masses that everyone is wrong except them. It's wrong and ignorant for someone to force their beliefs be it politics or religion on someone else. Like I said, go to the HR and let them know you uncomfortable with it.

You should absolutely go to HR. You should be able to file a complain with HR without them disclosing who made the complaint.

The workplace is not the right place to discuss politics or race ever. Inevitably, you will end up offending someone or making them uncomfortable. You're right to distance yourself from them if they're making inappropriate comments.

• Author

I think that's what I may end up doing. One of them reacts very defensively to comments about spiritual/metaphysical stuff (made by others) saying it offends God and whatnot. I don't understand why they have to give their opinion all the time and when they know I don't believe in God the same way they do.

Also, to top it off, they're also homophobic and I'm all for gay rights...

Edited by petitefleur
  • Author

I think that's what I may end up doing. One of them reacts very defensively to comments about spiritual/metaphysical stuff saying it offends God and whatnot. I don't understand why they have to give their opinion all the time and when they know I don't believe in God the same way they do.

Also, to top it off, they're also homophobic and I'm all for gay rights...