why does this constantly happen to me

At many parties I have gone to, random guys have approached me and has said something along the lines of.. "my friend thinks your really cute and he wants to dance with you".

these guys approach me, and they are strangers i've never met who happen to be students at my college. I don't even look at them or notice them until they talk to me. I'm dancing with my girl friends. Why does a guy always mention that his friend wants to dance with me? why doesn't he want to dance with me himself?

i do find myself to be physically attractive, so i don't think they are bs-ing about that part. why doesn't the guy who actually talks to me, want to dance with me?

Because rejection is hard.

Sometimes, guys just want to know that you are interested before they walk over. Maybe he's shy. Depending on the age, guys may just be immature too. I think if you're bothered by it, the next time it happens, just say something along the lines of "Well, I think you should send your friend over and have him tell me himself. I like confident guys." If the guy comes over, then great. If not, then he's just wasting your time.

Good luck