Still thinking: was this really just a "friendship?"

tart6245

I have discussed my fallout with my "friend" in the other thread, so I wanted to talk here about whether my hunches about her intentions were correct or not.

This girl and I started hanging out last February. We basically did everything together - go to shows, out to dinner, weddings, casual nights out, she wanted to take trips (though I never said yes), hooked up, she started suggesting we go out of town to concerts and events together, etc. She would also make it a point to post pictures of us together on social media *to make other girls jealous that she was with me* in her words.

In May, rumors swirled around school that we were dating, but we never discussed whether we were or not and she flipped out and disappeared for 2 months when she left town for summer. In July, she came back and called me, didn't mention May, and immediately wanted to spend the 4th together, and we did. Whenever she came back to town at any point during the summer, she'd hang out with only me and we'd spend all day together. I was the first person she saw when she moved back in town and the only person she saw the week before school started.

Today, of course, we are fighting, I said bad things to her while drunk after I found out she had a 1 night stand, and now she has blocked me from her life. I also told her I felt like she was using me as her stand in boyfriend while she also pursued others.

Was I wrong for thinking she wanted more given her behavior? She's never been in a real relationship, so is it possible she is just really naive and has no clue how men and women interact? I feel somewhat like we broke up, but since we never defined what we were doing, it's weird...

She has a reputation as a user and for being very selfish, so I am pretty sure I was just used for a while because she wanted some fun without commitment.

Edited by tarheelian
  • Author

I still feel pretty crummy about it today, I'm not going to lie, but I think it's more anger at myself for letting her use me than anything else.

I also feel remorseful for lashing out at her like I knew I shouldn't, but I have no clue how to right this wrong now.