A needy friend

mortensorchid

mortensorchid

What do you do with a needy friend who doesn't seem to know his limitations? Background ...

I met him on Facebook about a year ago. We started chatting on the IM, eventually we met. I invited him to join my theater company as he is a great asset (carpentry and things), and he's very happy that I invited him in. Problems? Well ...

He kind of expects a regular chat every night on Facebook, and he's following my posts and if there is something questionable or silly, he asks "are you ok?" via text or something. I feel like I have to explain myself at all times. And no, he's not a cop.

What to do?

todreaminblue

someone said to me as a child have no idea who but it has stuck with me, that is...... a friend in need is a friend in deed so when i read "needy friend" in the title that si the first thing that came to my head......

its hard to know what to say when a guy's heart is in the right place....showing concern, friendship, happiness to talk to you....enjoys your company.....

I would just be honest with him, say you don't chat on face book every night...

do you want this guy as a friend.....he seems to feel you are that friend ....maybe you should just tell him exactly how you feel and hope that he doesn't take it to heart and understands where you are coming from, I think possibly this would be best..best wishes..deb

• Like 2
Onward_Upward

Sounds a bit like this guy is in your "friend zone"... Unrequited love, anyone?

Whatever the case, you need to set some limits on this "friendship"... Just be polite and friendly about it though, and realize that he may indeed "like" you very much. Perhaps, you could talk about it over a coffee, or something.

But be honest, and please... let him down easy, eh? It ain't easy for blokes out there ;)

Seems "Stalkish" (if that is even a real word).

Accept responsibility that you invited him into your world, then politely ease him out to the reality that you prefer your own private life and time separate from his. It sets a healthy boundary. Its a fine line since for a year prior, a chat buddy relation had been established....Old habits are for some.. a foundation.

Be diplomatic and straight forward, Honesty is rarely disrespected when done with a healthy objective goal in mind.