Having strong feelings for a close friend

I've been struggling for the past year and a half with this certain issue and I'm not sure of the best way to tackle it. I have very strong feelings for one of my close friends. We've known each other for about 5 years. I've always had a small crush on her, but it's grown more as of this past year and a half. We actually dated for a very short time last year and broke it off because of bad timing (she was away at school and I worked long full time hours. Couldn't keep up with a LDR) and decided to stay friends because we care about each other. We really enjoy each others company, but I have accepted that we probably won't work out again. The hard part is that I cannot shake these feelings away. Even if I don't speak to her for a while and feel like everything's okay, it all comes back when I see her. I've never felt this way about anyone in a long time. I thought that this was just some small crush that would go away in time, but years later it's still there. I don't want to bring it up again because I feel it's pointless, but I also don't want to break off the friendship because I cherish it so much. It's a sticky situation. What's the best alternatives for this?

If she's not seeing anyone and you feel confident enough in her feelings for you, you could try bringing up the possibility of dating, in a casual way. Just don't make a big deal out of it and try to make her feel secure that it won't destroy the friendship.

On the other hand it could get awkward if she really isn't into you, but thats the chance you take.

Better to know to be honest.

whichwayisup

Put less focus on her and don't allow yourself to think of her (sexually etc) because all that does is feed your feelings.

It sounds like it's one sided and you two tried but the timing was wrong. It's been a long time and now she's moved on.

Keep busy, and try to open your mind and heart to other women. Hanging onto to someone like this just gives you hope...And that hope is what prevents you from finding someone else.

• Author

Understandable. It's just hard because we are in the same group of friends and we see each other all the time. Also she talks with me everyday. Either to complain about life or talk about her day. I feel like there's an attraction that never left.