Girl Friends...or lack of....

FrenchToast

I've been trying my best to form friendships with other women for about a year now. I confided in my mother that the whole thing has been a pain in the ass, and she reminded me that I've always had guys as close friends. In high school I had friends from different cliques but I was not close to a certain group. I was usually close to those in my neighborhood who were mainly boys. It's always been easy for me to pick up a male friend where ever I go, and now that I am married I can still have great friendships with guys. I just want to be able to have the same thing with other women. My husband is in the military and when he's gone on deployments I have to be careful about hanging out with other men all of the time because it can look bad or start rumors. His last deployment actually sucked because I hung out by myself a lot just to avoid any sort of trouble. I talk to other women at work, school, church, etc. but nothing. I've even told some that I would hang out with them and have given my number out but heard nothing in return. I feel like the plague or something... Am I not whatever it is that brings a bunch of women together to hang out? :mad:

mercuryshadow

I hear you 100%.

I don't have nearly as many female friends as I think I should have, but my prior friendships with women crashed and burned due to trust issues and competitiveness (that I needed to get away from). Since then, I've been a bit weary.

It's far more common than you think (the scarcity of female-female friendships). I hear that sites like meetup.com are good for meeting people of mutual interests. You could form friendships with other girls that way.

I'm currently feeling lonely, as well, as I've moved a ways away from the girl friends I did have... it is frustrating. I completely understand. Maybe you'll get some good advice here. :)

• Author

Thanks mercuryshadow! It helps to hear that I am not the only one around that feels this way. I'm gonna check out meetup.com and see what it's all about. Thanks again! :D

I hear you 100%.

It's far more common than you think (the scarcity of female-female friendships). I hear that sites like meetup.com are good for meeting people of mutual interests. You could form friendships with other girls that way.

+1 with meetup.

I do not have many female friends either. Most of my friends are single men. I find females seem to get competitive. :sick:

I decided to try meetup last year to find more female friends.

I have only been to One meetup get-together last year and had a positive experience.

I ended up exchanging numbers with 2 women. One of the 2 women, we never became friends even though numbers were exchanged but the other 1. She ended up becoming one of my friends and have gone out with her several times.

I have been wanting to go to more meetups since but haven't gone in a over a year.

• Like 1