Friends you stop contacting turns into.. nothing

I'm looking through my facebook friends thinking "I used to be really good friends with this person. Haven't talked to him in years. Now I barely remember him." Really kind of sad when I thought about it. Then I'm thinking I could message him right now and ask how he was doing but that would be really weird.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience?

How would you feel if a friend that you knew 10 years ago just suddenly messaged you asking how you were doing?

• Like 1
pink_sugar

I've had that, nothing wrong with it. In some ways, some people that turned down my friendship in middle school...sometimes it's a relief to figure out it wasn't meant to be. A lot of friendships I had that didn't work out, I've found out later that they are living off of food stamps and have 2.5 kids at 20 years old. Many of them were part of the same clique. I'm sure if we all had stayed close friends, I may have been on that same path. It wasn't meant to be, but it's nice reconnecting later on. :o

• Like 2
SweetiePie12

...I love the poetic justice of guys who would not give me the time of day in school, now tryna holla, but I'm all: you got 5 kids and live with your mom :laugh:

I'm not judging, but I'm grateful for friendships I THOUGHT I wanted, but didn't work out :o

• Like 4
Moe'sTavern

I've never had much luck rekindling old friendships. Heck, I've never had much luck making actual friends to begin with. Plenty of acquaintances though.

pink_sugar
...I love the poetic justice of guys who would not give me the time of day in school, now tryna holla, but I'm all: you got 5 kids and live with your mom :laugh:

I'm not judging, but I'm grateful for friendships I THOUGHT I wanted, but didn't work out :o

Amen to that!

• Like 2
  • Author
I've never had much luck rekindling old friendships. Heck' date=' I've never had much luck making actual friends to begin with. Plenty of acquaintances though.[/quote']

I'm pretty much in he same boat. The only good friends I have are old friends from my high school who also now go to my college. I haven't actually made any lasting friends with people I met in college.

What I kind of discovered is that the people who have lasting friends and a lot of them are usually the people who go out of their way to make them. You know, the people that ask you to go for a run together or to get lunch even though you don't know them that well. Sometimes I feel like other people should be asking me to hang out if they want to be friends. Problem is, a lot of people think the same way and a lot of friendship opportunities are lost because people are possible.

That why I'm kind of trying to contact and maybe rekindle former friendships. Friendships that drift away for no reason are really a shame.

Country_Girl

I say just go for it...even though you think it's weird, they won't. Most people are receptive to re-opening lines of communication. Here's the thing about your situation...you both probably think it's weird to be the first to initiate contact, so neither will do anything, chances are this friend would love to hear from you.

I felt that way last week, a high school classmate on my friends list had a birthday. We weren't buds or anything, just classmates, I wanted to send a Happy Birthday on their wall but I debated with myself thinking it would be weird. Then I thought, who cares and sent it anyway. Immediately the person replied with a thank you and they appriciated it. I was so glad I went past my own inner judgement and sent the message.

• Like 2
  • Author
I say just go for it...even though you think it's weird, they won't. Most people are receptive to re-opening lines of communication. Here's the thing about your situation...you both probably think it's weird to be the first to initiate contact, so neither will do anything, chances are this friend would love to hear from you.

I felt that way last week, a high school classmate on my friends list had a birthday. We weren't buds or anything, just classmates, I wanted to send a Happy Birthday on their wall but I debated with myself thinking it would be weird. Then I thought, who cares and sent it anyway. Immediately the person replied with a thank you and they appriciated it. I was so glad I went past my own inner judgement and sent the message.

Yes! I always feel like I shouldn't contact people if they don't contact me first because I think the reason that they don't contact me is because they don't want to...

Comforting to hear. I think I'm going to go ahead and do it.

• 4 weeks later...

I contacted someone I drifted apart from recently. They completely ignored my message though. Yet I saw they are friends with a few people who weren't even friends with this person, from our school. Yet they ignored me? I wondered how/why this person changed and why they are now friends with people who were bullies at my school. Because this friend completely ignored me (we had mutual friends on FB) I went and unfriended this person.