Happy Birthday?

Eternal Sunshine

Eternal Sunshine

If you send a male friend a happy birthday text and he doesn't respond, not even to say thanks, do I have a right to feel somewhat offended?

Or is that an over-reaction?

It is not someone I am dating but it is someone I am interested in so I wasn't sure where to put this thread.

I am kind of pissed about no response :mad:

TaraMaiden

Being offended seems to imply some kind of right to feel that.

But if you're not dating, and he doesn't know how you feel, then, no, I think while it's a bit 'off', there's no point - or dare I say it, justification - in being offended.

People are like that. Maybe he received so many, he lost count and didn't realise you were awaiting a reply or acknowledgement.

You get a load of 'happy birthdays' on FB. A general thanks is more usual than an individual response to everyone. I think the same may apply here.

Sometimes, you can't thank everyone......

If you send a male friend a happy birthday text and he doesn't respond, not even to say thanks, do I have a right to feel somewhat offended?

It is not someone I am dating but it is someone I am interested in so I wasn't sure where to put this thread.

I understand. You have the right to feel any way you want of course. Unfortunately I have the tendency to cut men out like that when they don't respond. I don't care when it's a friend but if it's an interest then clean slate is better.

• Like 1
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine
I understand. You have the right to feel any way you want of course. Unfortunately I have the tendency to cut men out like that when they don't respond. I don't care when it's a friend but if it's an interest then clean slate is better.

So do I. I am crossing him over my "potential interests" list. I definetely wouldn't care if my interest in him was purely platonic. But it's not and I do care :(

I won't show it of course, I will be pleasant and polite when I see him next. The change will happen inwardly.

• Like 1
So do I. I am crossing him over my "potential interests" list. I definetely wouldn't care if my interest in him was purely platonic. But it's not and I do care :(

Yeah, shame but it is what it is.

I won't show it of course, I will be pleasant and polite when I see him next. The change will happen inwardly.

I'm the same. Just lose their number, take them of facebook, etc and done.

He might still get back to you of course soon enough.

No offence, but on birthdays people generally get flooded with messages on social media, emails or texts. I wouldn't take it so seriously. Also he may not know you have an interest in him. I know for certain, I didn't respond to every single message. I tried, but when my birthday is on a weekday, I'm also at work and just can't get around to responding to every single greeting.

• Like 1
No offence, but on birthdays people generally get flooded with messages on social media, emails or texts. I wouldn't take it so seriously. Also he may not know you have an interest in him. I know for certain, I didn't respond to every single message. I tried, but when my birthday is on a weekday, I'm also at work and just can't get around to responding to every single greeting.

If he can't differentiate between her messages and the others' then there is nothing for her to do. It's not about whether he knows that she is interested, it's whether he is interested.

• Like 1
GorillaTheater

How old is this guy? I've texted fewer times than I have fingers in my entire life, and check fb about once a month. Unless I have something better to do.

Could be a factor.

fortyninethousand322

Back in college, the girl I "dated" sent me a birthday text message. I was upset with her because I felt like she was playing games with me (she was). So I didn't answer. I'm sure she didn't realize that's why I ignored the text.

She called me and of course I answered and of course I continued to see her anyway. It's easier to ignore a text than a phone call or an actual person.

Maybe he didn't get the text or maybe he's upset with you for some reason that makes no sense to you.

TaraMaiden

Pretty much my point too....

oriole man

if hes hot, hes gotten 300 messages. no obligation to respond. :lmao:

Even when I'm sailing in the middle of the sea somewhere with intermittent reception I have no trouble responding to the man I'm interested in....

• Like 1
oriole man
Even when I'm sailing in the middle of the sea somewhere with intermittent reception I have no trouble responding to the man I'm interested in....

you drop everything to respond to him? don't expect that in return.

GorillaTheater

Since we're talking about Emilia here, I'd expect it in return.

• Like 1

I don't drop everything but I respond in a timely fashion. Maybe you should.

Since we're talking about Emilia here, I'd expect it in return.

:laugh: thanks.

oriole man
I don't drop everything but I respond in a timely fashion. Maybe you should.

i'm doing just fine. i'll be having sex with my third new hot girl this week.

i'm doing just fine. i'll be having sex with my third new hot girl this week.

Oh I'm sure you are. While posting on LS :rolleyes:

If he can't differentiate between her messages and the others' then there is nothing for her to do. It's not about whether he knows that she is interested, it's whether he is interested.

I didn't say that she should do something.

All I said was she could be overreacting. They are not dating so he has no obligation to respond and I think him knowing whether or not she is interested is semi important. If some guy friend of mine, whom I'm not dating and have only hung out with, sends just a "Happy Birthday" text and I had no idea they were interested in me... Chances are, I might not respond. I'll probably do a mass "thank you" and group them in with the rest of my friends.

However, if he did know she was interested and they went on a date in the past and didn't care to respond, then perhaps she has the right to be a bit offended if she thought a relationship was progressing. But if he has no idea that she likes him, they've never been on a date, and she's just prospecting the idea of wanting to hang out with him more... then yes, I'd say she's overreacting.

whichwayisup

Maybe bdays are not that important to him.

Anyway, when you do something nice for someone, sure it would be nice to get a thanks, sometimes it doesn't happen. Maybe he got it and couldn't reply back, thought he would later and then forgot. Don't make a big deal of it though..