Am I being overly sensitive? Friend related

tuxedo cat

A few days ago a close friend asked me if I could help her write a paper for school last minute. I have a busy work schedule but I spent a few hours that day helping her write it on short notice. The next day she sent me a revision that incorporated some of my additions and suggestions. We had a brief conversation online where I told her what I thought of her revision. Shortly after we spoke I got news that my grandmother probably has terminal cancer. I texted her the news and told her I was feeling very depressed. All she responded with was, "oh no :(." She never followed up with a call or anything else.

Am I being overly sensitive for feeling annoyed that she wasn't more supportive after I helped her with this thing? I know she is very busy and stressed with schoolwork but I still felt that she could have put in a little more effort to support me.

This is a friend who I always end up feeling like I give more to than I get in return but I can't tell if I overreacted in this case. At this point I am considering whether I want to even stay friends with her.

Edited by tuxedo cat

Sounds like a fair-weather friend....

Calls you when she needs help (and you come-a-runn'n), but isn't that invested in the "friendship" to know when someone is in emotional need.

Can't believe you wrote her paper for her, especially since you're busy. In doing so, the only thing she learned was that people come in handy.

Not an over-reaction but your takeaway should be that she's a user and to not bend over backwards for someone like this.

• Like 1