Long Distance Friendship Fading Fast

Hi guys,

So I have been friends with my bff since we were 15. We are now in our mid thirties. Most of our lives we have been there for each other and even though we lived far away always remained in touch. That is, until I moved away from California 2 years ago.

Since then, I have tried to stay in touch but my friend is not very good about returning my calls. I sent her a birthday and Christmas presents/cards, and she never sent me one—yet after the holidays she said she bought me one, but she never sent it.

We live really far away from each other. She lived at home with her parents up until a year ago when she moved to Los Angeles. Since she has lived in LA, she has found a new group of friends and seems to hang out with them, etc. and is absorbed in her life out there. I am happy for her that she has supportive and good friends, but I have to admit I am a bit hurt because last time we talked all she did was go on and on about her life and problems for nearly 2 hours we were on the phone together (including talk $hit about some of the friends she met), yet on facebook she is super chummy with them. She never calls me anymore and I feel if I want to talk to her, I am the one who has to reach out. And the last time I called her, one of her other friends was over and she couldn’t talk but promised she would call the next day – but never did.

I don’t know why Im writing this other than perhaps to vent and get an objective opinion. I love her dearly and don’t want to throw away our 17 year friendship, but as of right now I don’t even feel like we are even friends anymore. Advice/comments appreciated. Thank you.