The Girl With The Wondering Mind

Looks like I'm having a field day with friends on here.

So, I have this girl friend named Susan who I've known for over 4 years now. We met in one of our classes and stayed in touch through the college years too. You know, I wouldn't necessarily say she's a shy girl, but she can be insecure at times with her value to others in the world. She got into a relationship last August with this guy who she'd known for sometime, and she seemed very happy when I was around them. They both actually appeared to be enjoying themselves very much. But deep down inside she still didn't feel "good enough" for him and she says "what if he leaves me and strands me like every other guy does". You can tell she subscribes to Stereotypes 101.

Well, like any good friend I just explain to her that not everyone is a whore or a cheater. I mean, this girl comes to me for advice and I'm happy to help... But, I feel like I've lost my connection to her almost. Like I'm just here to be Advice Guru Garrett. When I call her on the phone, nowadays she's off into outerspace it seems. You'd ask her a question like "Do you have any plans this weekend?" and she don't hear it... After an awkward silence, I speak louder in thought that I was too soft. Well eventually her brain gets the message and she answers.

Ohh and I created an "Excuse Dictionary". Basically, I haven't see this women in over 5 months but we live only a few miles away. She doesn't work and goes to school only, yet I've heard the most outlandish excuses for why we can't go the mall or to lunch or maybe bowling or to chill. She has used the following: I'm too tired, it's too cold, I have family visiting, I already made plans, I just can't leave my house, I'm studying, I'm thinking, I'm gassy. .... Lady, if I've been struggling to get with you, can't you just say become an active friend and attempt to schedule us in when you're not any of the above?

I know a friend of mine who actually does work all day and I've seen her 3 times this year already. I just don't get it... I've already chosen to stop being the Advice Guru. I just wish I knew what kind of mental thing is going on there.

Sometimes people who were friends at one time grow apart.

You and your friend have grown apart.

That's okay. Focus on your other friends.

Good luck!