Is making friendships supposed to be this complicated?

Met this girl at work a few months ago. We work well together, get along great. Even though I am not attracted to her, I thought she would be a good person to hang out with as a friend as we share the same interests.

I ask her if she wanted to get a quick drink one night. She hemmed and hawed.. I gave her my number and said to contact me if she wanted to.

Week or so later, she contacts me about the drink, said she is sorry she hasn't reached out to me but she has been busy with school. I said no problem.

Few weeks later, she reaches out to me and tells me that she is giving some thought about my offer.. but she wants to make sure its just as friends. I said yes, its just as friends, and told her that I didnt really think of her in that way (more than just friends). So, I am thinking 'cool... now that we got that out of the way'. Well, she retorts 'Good to know we are on the same page, but you didn't need to make that snide remark'.

She never mentioned the drink again after that.

Frankly, I have never had this happen to me. I thought being upfront with what I think is the best policy. especially when trying to avoid awkward situations. I was agreeing with her, and I am the bad guy?

Did I miss something?

even though she only saw you as a potential friend and vice versa...she probably got a little bit of satisfaction out of believing you had a crush on her. Now that she knows the truth, that feeling is gone... in a weird way even though she probably does not like you as more than a possible friend, the fact that you turned her down ticked her off.

• Author
even though she only saw you as a potential friend and vice versa...she probably got a little bit of satisfaction out of believing you had a crush on her. Now that she knows the truth, that feeling is gone... in a weird way even though she probably does not like you as more than a possible friend, the fact that you turned her down ticked her off.

That is messed up.

I guess I avoided a potential nutty friend then.

• Like 1
That is messed up.

I guess I avoided a potential nutty friend then.

thats how women can be sometimes. I've been in a similar situation once, and the girl made it clear she was a lesbian and I made it clear that was ok by me, I was not into her... and she got pissy that I wouldn't be into her. lol go figure.