Is it me?

So far 2013 has been one up hill battle for me on a personal level. I'm 21 going on 22 and I have never been asked out before. I have never been approached by a tutor anything. I also don't have many friends and spend my days alone and in silence. My friend thinks that I'm the problem because I don't let people in and that I'm too stuck up, so I took her advice and tried to be more friendly. I talk to people in my lectures, I smile more often, heck I've even slightly changed my appearance. On the odd occasion that I spoke to her about it, I asked her if I had a sign on my head that said 'approach if you dare' and she maybe I do and laughed about it.

Recently that friend has been telling me about all the attention that she is getting from guys. I am supportive towards her and do encourage her to pursue the ones she likes. I don't tell her that it just makes me feel crappy about myself. I told her that she never realised that she has always been getting the attention. She asked me to explain but I don't want to make her feel bad by telling her that whenever we went out guys would always talk to her and carry on as if I was not there and that I stopped going out with her because I felt that my presence makes it hard for her to actually go out with these guys because she feels sorry for me.

To make things worse, I think that I have been replaced in her life with with someone from her classes because I ran into them when I went to the movies with my mother. I shrugged it off but it hurts because when I go out with my friends I always ask her.

So is it just me or is the universe trying to tell me that I'm going to die alone? Because I'm tired of people judging me and coming to the wrong conclusions. I know what kind of person I am. I'm not the bitch that people think I am, I'm not cunning, shrewd or mean, so why do people avoid me like a disease? I don't want to be alone.

roaminghart11

Judging by your post, I assume you are in college, but do you live on campus? When I was in school but living off campus I found it extremely difficult to make friends and meet guys because I would miss out on last minute the get-togethers. Do you have friends that are guys? The only way to get to know guys is to talk to them. The guys that just talk you up when you are out at a bar might not be what you are looking for anyway.

• Author

I along with all my friends, live at home. I do have guy friends but I would never ever think of dating them, or even someone like them. They are good friend material, but horrible boyfriend material. I have been talking to aguy in my lectures, but he only comes to class once in a blue moon. But thanks for the reply :)