Friend makes plans, then bails without a word.

So...this has been bugging me and it's more of a venting thing than anything, but ...

So a friend of mine was celebrating their birthday yesterday - I also hadn't actually "met" them yet aside from online (yes, it's a girl but she has kids and I'm not pursing anything more than friends because I don't need that yet). So, she says we should have lunch on her birthday. We decided to meet at a halfway point (she lives almost 2 hours away from where I live) at a restaurant.

I go there around the time we were supposed to meet up - and she got held up with something and was going to be late. Another half hour passes ...nothing. Text again - no response. An hour passes ...no response.

Long story short, after a combined three hours of waiting, I make other plans and go someplace else. She still hasn't texted me since yesterday and seems to be completely ignoring me now. I see activity on Facebook so their phone is obviously fine. I understand that things come up and people have to cancel at the last minute - but to completely ignore me?

What...just happened there? I'm confused and really irritated but I guess there's nothing I can do but vent then move on.

You have been dumped! In a rather grotesque way, I might add. You call this woman a "friend" and yet you only met her online.... She was just an acquaintance. Of course she had no obligation to honor the arrangement she made with you because you were just two strangers who happened to use the same online chatting website. I hope you don't expect an apology or anything like that.....

• Author
You have been dumped! In a rather grotesque way, I might add. You call this woman a "friend" and yet you only met her online.... She was just an acquaintance. Of course she had no obligation to honor the arrangement she made with you because you were just two strangers who happened to use the same online chatting website. I hope you don't expect an apology or anything like that.....

Well, we've actually been talking for a few months and we had each other's numbers and stuff. Our schedules made it difficult to plan things (plus she has a kid, so yeah).

It's important to keep your expectations on a realistic level when it comes to online dating. I've been stood up by women I met online more times than I care to remember.

Most people who are dating online are usually chatting simultaneously with several potential partners. Maybe she cancelled you because some of her other guys became available unexpectedly. Don't sweat it, plenty more fish in the sea.....