Being close friends with a guy

icedlatte

Hi, I just wanted your opinion on whether or not my situation with my guy friend is considered "normal". Mostly because I've never really had a close guy friend before. Also, he has a gf who lives with him so I don't want to do anything that steps outside the boundaries of being friends.

We met each other last summer when we both moved here to attend school. We quickly became close friends. But sometimes, I feel like he helps me out more than I can be there for him as a friend. Whenever we hang out, just the 2 of us, we can speak freely to each other and talk about thought provoking subjects. Yesterday, we grabbed coffee to catch up and ran into our mutual friends, also in our class. So we joined them and talked until he finished eating his food. When we left, he suggested that we go somewhere else to chat because he could probably sense that we were both being "socially polite" in a group setting and not able to freely speak to each other. So when we went somewhere else, it was mostly me talking about being stressed out by school and him encouraging me. So that's why I didn't make too much of it when he stated matter of factly that I was a "very pretty girl, smart, and genuine" and that he likes me. I figure that he's a very supportive friend, right? After I came back home, he texted me that he always enjoy our conversations because he learns something about me and him. But even though we're great friends, I'm a bit confused why when I run into him at school, he will talk to all his other friends but he'll be socially polite to me as if we are not that close.

Edited by icedlatte

I think you are less than 18 years.

It seems both of you like each other more than friends. Yet the question is will he leave his girlfriend for you? Are you OK with that?

If the answer is 'No' you'll get pain from this friendship, so better to detach.