Friend always asking for money to pay bills

nebulae

I was dating a guy, he quit his job because it was unsafe and the management wouldn't allow him to reduce his hours. (they wanted him to work 16 hours and he was falling asleep whilst driving). After he quit, he kept asking on facebook for money to pay his rent, gas, food etc. He asked me for money, I was shocked but couldn't see him go without food. So I gave him like $30. He asked another time to help pay his phone bill, so I gave him $60. He asked a third time and I refused. He recently got a work at home job but doesn't get paid for a few weeks. He's still asking for money for food and rent and I feel bad. Should I help this guy or is he just a loser?

Giving him money just enables the behavior. He has to learn responsibility on his own.

Stop giving him money and don't count on ever getting repaid what you have already given him.

man i can't tell you how many people i know that are in that situation. if they want to get out of it, they will do it on their own.

don't give him any money. period.

so you just date him? do you ever see him in real life or is he one of those INTERNET ppl

more then real life?

first you cant be naive in 2013

did you see him after he lost his job in real life?

i would be careful

beside if i have a hard time i would not have a phone so i can have phone bills.

phone is not a priority.

food okay, but is there no family and friends?? savings?

and how come there is so much abuse in the works he do?

no one wants to pay or they want him to work a lot?

or is it that he cant keep a job..........?

weird. how hard is he looking for a real job.

for food maybe but it look like soon you have to pay his bills

i would be careful

beside if i have a hard time i would not have a phone so i can have phone bills.

phone is not a priority.

I agree he needs to find a way to bring in his own income, but I disagree that a phone isn't a priority. Without a phone, how would I get contacted for interviews or offers for a job? Same goes for internet in this day and age. Employers need to be able to reach you.

I actually had a creditor ask if I had relatives who could help me pay my credit card bills and the answer is no. I do not have anyone to help nor do I want to ruin or risk losing a friendship in order to re-pay my debts.

If this guy just quit his job and is already begging for money then he had serious financial problems beforehand. Constantly coming to his rescue will not solve his problem and it isn't anyones job to fix his situation. Direct him to his local unemployment office where he can get started on filing a claim (he might still be eligible despite quitting), apply for new jobs, and get information on food stamp benefits.

• Like 1