having feelings toward a friend

blueweasel

This is a long story...

We work at the same place, and when I first met her, I didn't really have eyes on her..but later as I grew to know her further and further, I fell in love with her without knowing it. I asked her to go out with me, and she said sure and we went out to see a movie. After the movie we sat and talked and she said that she had fun and we can do it again another time. I was delighted but then she added these words "uhm just to clarify, I only see you as a good friend, and I don't really feel anything toward you...", that moment I died inside a little. I thought I had a chance but it turns out her actions were misleading and I fooled myself in believing that I might be together with her.

Currently, we are friends, who hang out at times at the work place, but it still burns me inside that I can't be with her, especially when she likes someone else and that she talks to him a lot lately...I really don't know what to do....I've tried ignoring her, but eventually I get myself to reply back...

What should I do? It just hurts and I just don't want this feeling anymore...

I feel bad saying this, but I think he's right. She's probably not for you. You also said yourself that she's not your type when you first saw her. You've grown attached. I'd suggest you find something else you can focus on.

If you so very very VERY must do something about this, then instead of dwelling on this transient conversation where she rejected you (which I think you're doing), start taking actions to make her like you. You're better off trying something than not doing anything and feeling depressed. If it somehow works, great; if not, then at least you gave your shot.

Stop initiating contact, don't go out of your way to talk to her, and be short with her when she does contact you. That is the only way you will stop putting her on a pedastal. Then, go out and talk to other women.

Also, for other posters, is this a trend of just realizing you were in love with them? I find it really hard to be believe in 99% of these cases. You saw a girl, you thought she was cute, talked to her a lot but didn't see yourself liking her until one day you woke up and realized it? Really? Sorry for the rant, know it's a little off topic, but you're going to be fine man

It sucks when you fall for someone and they don't feel the same way back. We've all gone through this at some point.

All I can say is, grieve the loss and the hope/desires/fantasy you had going on about her. She is interested in someone else and she told you that she doesn't have feelings for you. It hurts and I'm sure it was a smack in the face but kudos to her for being honest. She could have used you, gone out with you 'as a friend' and then you'd be more attached than you already are.

Give yourself time and space. Maybe one day when you feel less towards her you two can be friends, but for now that's not possible because of how you feel.