Why do guys brag so much?

I have a male friend I've known for a couple of years. Almost every conversation is somehow always about how awesome he is in some way or trying to get some kind of reassurance with his morals or how he acts in general. I'm somewhat socially inept so many I am either reading into things too much or the answer is really obvious. Frankly though, it gets kind of annoying. Is this just a natural guy thing? Do guys only do it to females they like? Do they do it because they feel insecure about women? I don't think he likes me since he has a highly attractive lady friend who buys him gifts all the time and he seems enamored by her, so yeah. He has not mentioned her in any convos in quite a while though, so I have no idea. Thanks for any insight.

Edited by Aedra

It's a mark of people with low self-esteem, but most people grow out of it during their teen years. I used to have a childhood friend like that. He would sometimes get bullied in school, and as a consequence, he would invent stories about how he beat somebody up who gave him the wrong look, which he would then tell me in great, visceral detail. I knew he was making it all up, but I would listen to him without a word and let him vent.

Mr_Flay has pretty much covered it. I have a friend who does the same thing and we're both in our 20's. We've been friends since high school and he still does it to this day, to me It's a sign of insecurity and him looking for validation from others. But what is different in your case is that you're of the opposite sex ..If he's just bragging to you then it could be that he wants to impress you specifically and why he's doing that could be for many reasons..he may like you, he may want you to fall for him? My friend who I mentioned that bragged alot had very intense relationships with women and I think he had attachment issues...I don't know if that's the case with the guy you mentioned.

• Author
Mr_Flay has pretty much covered it. I have a friend who does the same thing and we're both in our 20's. We've been friends since high school and he still does it to this day, to me It's a sign of insecurity and him looking for validation from others. But what is different in your case is that you're of the opposite sex ..If he's just bragging to you then it could be that he wants to impress you specifically and why he's doing that could be for many reasons..he may like you, he may want you to fall for him? My friend who I mentioned that bragged alot had very intense relationships with women and I think he had attachment issues...I don't know if that's the case with the guy you mentioned.

Thanks for all the responses, appreciated. I still don't really know why he acts like that so excessively, but I think you're right he's probably insecure around women. I did get the impression he had a crush on me a long while back, but he knows I am in a relationship and he's in one too. We don't talk anymore now for some reason, he keeps wanting me to act a certain way which I find a bit odd. If I am not always interesting and cheery he stops talking to me, its probably for the better to stop chatting with him very much.

Edited by Aedra
I used to have a childhood friend like that. He would sometimes get bullied in school, and as a consequence, he would invent stories ...

Funnily enough I also have a friend like this. I haven't seen him much and he's become a bit unbearable so I don't plan to see him much either.

He became quite insecure from how he was treated in the past so that he invented all these stories about his sexual conquests. He slept with this many girls in such and such places etc, every time later to be revealed that it was all bull**** he made up to feel better about himself. Other issues came in when his insecurities caused him to put down his own friends to raise himself up, and the lack of honesty meant we couldn't trust anything he said either. We frankly got so tired of his crap, I don't even like to see him anymore, and we've known each other for ages.

I don't know anyone else who bragged like that.